How does one calculate sciences gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTB2MD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

How do you calculate the science gpa? Does one just use the grades obtained in bio 1&2, orgo 1&2, inorganic 1&2, physics 1&2, and calc OR can you use all the science classes you took in undergrad (i was a bio major). the reason I ask is because my first year as a freshman I received just about all 'B's in those core classes while my upperlevel bio classes like micro, cell bio, physiology, etc. were just about all 'A's except for genetics ('C') which I may even take again. thanks in advance for your input.

Ken

Members don't see this ad.

I've always calculated using the guidelines for whichever school I'm applying to (whether its DO or MD). I use all science classes that appear on their "science gpa" calculation, which you know is slightly different between the two.

Thanks for your reply. Now I'm starting to worry. Do most MD schools ask for the science preq. gpa or all sciences on your transcript?
ken

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to say comprehensive (i.e., all sciences courses taken), but in AMCAS's case, I think it's more voodoo, stick-shaking, and the waving of a magic chicken, because I'm not sure how they calculated mine.

First off, you don't calculate the BCPM GPA, it is calculated for you by AMCAS. However, if you obviously want to estimate the BCPM GPA before it is calculated for you, you use ALL UNDERGRAD/POST-BAC BCPM CLASSES (BCPM = Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math.) Basically, that means all classes taught by those departments.

NOTE: If you are a Texas applicant, the TMDSAS science GPA is calculated differently, but, for now, I'll assume that you're not a TX applicant.

Thanks jota_jota for your response. my basic science preq aren't that great but once I avg in my upper level BCPM then I'm around a 3.48. I'm going to be taking extra classes to get my gpa above a 3.5.
thanks again.
ken