docmike1983

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I have the comlex PE in January. I am going to be a pathologist so I totally feel this exam is useless for me. Nevertheless, I am preparing thoroughly for this exam. However, despite that I still have no clue what the proper way to drape a patient is. Can somebody please share their insight. Thank You.

One more question: If I fail, can still match?

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2002
www.google.com
Status
Attending Physician
Step 1. Pick up drape that is located on the stool when you walk into the room.
Step 2. Place drape on patient's lap.

docmike1983

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Where on the patient is the drape place when examining the chest and abdomen? And how does one auscultate heart and anterior lung sounds on a large breasted women? I am scared of doing something inappropriate during the exam. Thank You

About the Ads

FutureInternist

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Where Bugs Bunny should have made a left turn
Status
Attending Physician
I have the comlex PE in January. I am going to be a pathologist so I totally feel this exam is useless for me. Nevertheless, I am preparing thoroughly for this exam. However, despite that I still have no clue what the proper way to drape a patient is. Can somebody please share their insight. Thank You.

One more question: If I fail, can still match?
First off, this exam is totally useless no matter what you are going to do residency in. :)

My way of draping was to put the sheet on top of the gown level w/ the ASIS, since that's an easy landmark to find, & then pull up the gown from under the drape. This ensured that you do not accidentally sneak a peek at their undies.

FutureInternist

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Where Bugs Bunny should have made a left turn
Status
Attending Physician
Where on the patient is the drape place when examining the chest and abdomen? And how does one auscultate heart and anterior lung sounds on a large breasted women? I am scared of doing something inappropriate during the exam. Thank You
For chest the patient is sitting up so you can slip your hand in b/w the drape & skin to auscultate. For posterior lung fields, ASK & then untie the gown from the back. For abdomen, drape the patient, then raise the gown as mentioned in the previous post.

Can you match if you fail??

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588314

About the Ads