How does one drape a patient?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by docmike1983, Dec 22, 2008.

1. docmike1983

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have the comlex PE in January. I am going to be a pathologist so I totally feel this exam is useless for me. Nevertheless, I am preparing thoroughly for this exam. However, despite that I still have no clue what the proper way to drape a patient is. Can somebody please share their insight. Thank You.

One more question: If I fail, can still match?

2. Femtochemistry

Femtochemistry Skunk Works
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Step 1. Pick up drape that is located on the stool when you walk into the room.
    Step 2. Place drape on patient's lap.

3. docmike1983

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Where on the patient is the drape place when examining the chest and abdomen? And how does one auscultate heart and anterior lung sounds on a large breasted women? I am scared of doing something inappropriate during the exam. Thank You

4. FutureInternist

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    First off, this exam is totally useless no matter what you are going to do residency in. :)

My way of draping was to put the sheet on top of the gown level w/ the ASIS, since that's an easy landmark to find, & then pull up the gown from under the drape. This ensured that you do not accidentally sneak a peek at their undies.

5. FutureInternist

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For chest the patient is sitting up so you can slip your hand in b/w the drape & skin to auscultate. For posterior lung fields, ASK & then untie the gown from the back. For abdomen, drape the patient, then raise the gown as mentioned in the previous post.

Can you match if you fail??

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588314