How does one go about getting a potential job approved by the NHSC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ψ-117

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a general idea of where I'd like to work upon finishing my training. However, on the NHSC Jobs Center website, I've never seen any open jobs in this area. I understand that it is possible to look for work through other resources, so long as it meets the criteria for the NHSC scholarship program. But how would I go about getting a job like that approved? And how early should I start doing a serious job search? I will complete training in June 2017.

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your last question first, you start looking for the summer before you graduate. In your case, that would be June-August 2016. The NHSC usually has a retreat or a webinar, where they explain how you interview for jobs, what your requirements are, and what benefits the NHSC offers (moving stipend, etc.) They usually include an updated list of available sites.

There may be many reasons why you never see any jobs listed for the region that you are interested in. The region's HPSA score may not be high enough for a Scholar. There may not be any openings. The clinics there may not need anyone in your specialty. Etc.

If there are approved clinic sites in the general area that you are interested in, it does not hurt to email their HR representative and ask some questions or express your interest. The one thing to remember about almost all NHSC sites is that change is a constant. Theit providers leave. They decide to open a new clinic site, or expand a clinic. They get a new grant to offer more services. Things are always changing.

Reactions: 1 user