How does one go molecular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I am thinking of taking a year off before starting residency in pathology so that I can get some solid research experience. In addition I would like to "get my foot in the door" with molecular research techniques. Unfortunately, I have no practical experience. What would be the best way to do something like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

M-

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

Isn't there anyone who can comment on this. It would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers

M-

I would think that you sould talk to a location that is doing research in Molecular techniques...
University's might be doing basic science research, and path departments tend to do the more clinically oriented..

But why take a year off... if your residency program has molecular then you can learn it there... are you going to do just CP or AP/CP?

-DjMd

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi djmd:

I won't be able to go through the match so unless I find a spot outside the match I will have to wait until next year. Just curious - what programs have you interviewed at? Which did you like? I'm finding people hesitant to take someone who has no experience in molecular bio research. Any tips? Why are you the "atomic pathologist"? I was thinking of doing AP/CP. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

M-

I interviews at a number of programs on the east coast...
UVA, BI, BostonU, and some others CCF, U of Colo
plus somemore...

"an atomic pathologist" Anatomic pathologist

hah ha its a joke...

Sorry I don't have any tips on how to find a program to work at that is doing molecular techniques, I was just thinking that as a medical student I can walk into labs (at my school) and ask if they can use people, but thats cause I dont get paid.. heh.. Which I guess does not apply
to you...

_DjMd

You could get a technician job in a laboratory. Almost every basic science lab has employed technicians to do lab work. The work sometimes won't be a coherent project and hence wouldn't be publishable, but it does enable you to get experinece in molecular techniques. That is, of course, in labs that do primarily molecular work. These jobs are relatively easy to come by since technicians turn-over quickly. (usually they leave to go to med school!) They also don't pay great, but at least they are not volunteer! I have to say I've never seen an MD in such a job, but it could be the solution for just a year.

Hi yawn:

Thanks so much for the input. I'll check it out.

cheers,

M-

Magree what part of the country are you in?

MCV has a wonderful molecular program. Here is a link to the dept.

<a href="http://www.pathology.vcu.edu/education/programs/moldiag/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.pathology.vcu.edu/education/programs/moldiag/index.html</a>

Hi GP:

Thanks for this link. I'm currently on the west coast. The VCU program sounds really interesting. I will look to see if there is something similar out here. Thanks again.

Cheers

M-