How does pediatric dermatology compare to adult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgetstarted1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you do a hybrid of adult and pediatric if you are at a major academic institution? Or is it pretty split?

How much lower is the compensation/salary for pediatric dermatology, at say an academic institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you do a hybrid of adult and pediatric if you are at a major academic institution? Or is it pretty split?

How much lower is the compensation/salary for pediatric dermatology, at say an academic institution?

These days everyone seems to moving to some sort of productivity based model, so pediatric dermatologists don't really make less money per unit of work compared to anyone else.

The main reason why pediatric dermatologists get paid less is that they do fewer procedures (biopsies, ED&C, LN2). They do fewer procedures because they mix of diseases they see don't require (as many of) them. It probably takes longer to see the average child vs the average adult derm patient, so that might factor in a bit. But it's mostly just fewer procedures.

Reactions: 2 users
These days everyone seems to moving to some sort of productivity based model, so pediatric dermatologists don't really make less money per unit of work compared to anyone else.

The main reason why pediatric dermatologists get paid less is that they do fewer procedures (biopsies, ED&C, LN2). They do fewer procedures because they mix of diseases they see don't require (as many of) them. It probably takes longer to see the average child vs the average adult derm patient, so that might factor in a bit. But it's mostly just fewer procedures.
You'll make less in peds derm than in adult derm because there are less procedures - when you learn more about billing, you'll realize that most of the derm income comes from small procedures (LN2, biopsies, etc.) which are generally avoided in kids unless necessary (most income is just straight E/M codes). I know at our institution the wRVU $$ for pediatric dermatology is actually a bit higher than gen derm (5-10%), but they get way less wRVUs because of the lack of procedures. I'd guess it's maybe a 25-30% salary cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I find that peds Derm just flows so much easier (more easy cases)

You can certainly do a hybrid even in academics. A few attendings that come to mind all did a peds Derm fellowship and are hybrid.

You can see pediatric aged patients as a general dermatologist

Peds derm fellowship with intent to do hybrid clinic might actually work better outside of academia. I’m sure most private practices would clamor for somebody who specialized in peds derm, builds the practice scope and allows other providers to refer challenging peds cases, so you’d get busy even faster. I would guess that hybrid model would work less well in academia.

How often do Dermatologists restrict referrals to Age 10+?

After being in practice for a few years, I am not sure how comfortable I will be with Genodermatoses...

How often do Dermatologists restrict referrals to Age 10+?

After being in practice for a few years, I am not sure how comfortable I will be with Genodermatoses...

Depends on the practice.

At our group practice, the physicians have a large say in what they will and won't see.

Reactions: 1 user