How does Penn State rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does Penn State rank in comparison to other schools (in general) -there is no world news rank associated with them and so i'm wondering what range they fall into, their strenghts, weaknesses, etc....

Any impressions?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would say they are an upper mid-range school. I think that if they were to fill out the USNEWS survey they would rank comprably with schools like AECOM. I base this assumption off of my interviewing experience at both of these schools and the facilities that I saw.

I really do feel that Penn State has a good reputation around the country and their match list is very impressive as well. Ten students matching Anesthesiology. I would rank them somewhere in the 30's if I was USNEWS :).

How does Penn State rank in comparison to other schools (in general) -there is no world news rank associated with them and so i'm wondering what range they fall into, their strenghts, weaknesses, etc....

Any impressions?

I think Penn State would be in the top 50. Penn State receives a fair amount of NIH grants which is somewhere on the NIH webite. This would raise their ranking in terms of Research. Also Penn State is not ranked because they believe that there is more to students than just numbers. The students at Penn State are very well rounded and diverse (i.e. international students, non-traditional, etc). Penn State also has many alumni which is always good.

Here is NIH grant info by medical school and department.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any impressions?

Go here to see a previous discussion about this issue. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding Penn State.