how does post bacc affect one's gpa exactly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvting

Reaction score
I was told by my advisor that I will need to take 30 credits of level 3000 and above STEM classes with a 3.5(?) GPA to completely overwrite (for lack of a better term) my current poor GPA. To reiterate I took a lot of early college classes during my highschool years, thus a lot of my early college classes don't have good grades.

My advisor said it was basically one of the only ways I can reasonably get into dental school. Does anyone know if this is remotely true? I asked my advisor for material on this topic that I can review but she simply hasn't responded; Its been a while now. If this is true, how exactly is it implemented?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by my advisor that I will need to take 30 credits of level 3000 and above STEM classes with a 3.5(?) GPA to completely overwrite (for lack of a better term) my current poor GPA. To reiterate I took a lot of early college classes during my highschool years, thus a lot of my early college classes don't have good grades.

My advisor said it was basically one of the only ways I can reasonably get into dental school. Does anyone know if this is remotely true? I asked my advisor for material on this topic that I can review but she simply hasn't responded; Its been a while now. If this is true, how exactly is it implemented?
post bacc gpa is undergraduate gpa, so it counts towards your overall and science gpas
special master's degrees and regular master's degrees are graduate gpa

Reactions: 1 users
post bacc gpa is undergraduate gpa, so it counts towards your overall and science gpas
special master's degrees and regular master's degrees are graduate gpa
so it doesn't really overwrite my previous GPA/classes?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so it doesn't really overwrite my previous GPA/classes?
No, it just averages them so it will slightly increase it if you do significantly better than your overall average

Some schools will calculate and consider your GPA for most recent 30 to 60 credit hours as part of your application review.
oh, really? you wouldn't happen to know some specifically would you? Can i find this info on dental school explore?

I had a low undergrad GPA but did a master's. This counted as my graduate GPA on AADSAS but AADSAS also provided an averaged GPA between my undergrad and graduate credits. I have no idea if taking undergrad credits with a postbacc would have been better or worse, but it was nice for my high graduate GPA to have its own spot on the application. The reason I bring up this difference is that most schools publish a class profile yearly, stating the average GPA and DAT of the incoming class. I wonder if when calculating my class's average GPA, did they use my graduate GPA or my overall average?

This is all conjecture, but worth considering if you have so many credits under your belt already that more undergrad is not going to make much of a difference. A graduate GPA can stand on its own, and provides you with a blank slate of sorts-but you must make the most of the opportunity. If I had tanked my graduate program, I was pretty much out of options for a career in dentistry.

Last edited:
oh, really? you wouldn't happen to know some specifically would you? Can i find this info on dental school explore?
I knew of a few schools that calculate it and consider it but I need to maintain confidentiality (not sure how current I am either... The schools should tell you). It is not part of the DSE/OG.