how does pre pharmacy really work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is prepharmacy just 2 yrs? does this mean that you can go to undergraduate college for only 2 yrs then get out and apply to pharmacy school? Also, does it matter where you take pre-pharmacy, regarding prestige of the school, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Is prepharmacy just 2 yrs? does this mean that you can go to undergraduate college for only 2 yrs then get out and apply to pharmacy school? Also, does it matter where you take pre-pharmacy, regarding prestige of the school, etc.

It is possible to finish the prereqs for pharmacy in 2 years, may have to do some summer school to do it. The prestige of the college is not important in my opinion, although classes taken at a 4 year college may look better than community college classes. It is more competitive to have a BA or BS when applying but not needed.
You can try applying after 2 years and finishing the prereqs and if you don't get in just keep taking classes to go after a BS and apply again the next year. If you do not have a BS then having experience working in a pharmacy is te way you make yourself a strong candidate, every year admission gets more competitive.

There are also a few schools that are on a 6 year program so if you have good high school grades and a good ACT/SAT score, you can get in right out of high school. It's a pretty good deal if it's offered at a school you want to go to and if you're sure pharmacy is what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
will a 1790/2400 and a 3.3 gpa allow me to get into the st john's pharm d program?

Out of high school? I'm not sure... I took the ACT not the SAT so I'm not sure how your score compares to others... but your GPA (I'm assuming it's HS) is a little low. I had a 3.96 in high school and got into a 6 yr program... I don't know how low of a GPA they take... my guess is a 3.7? 3.8? I think it's fairly competitive. I really don't know! You could contact the school and ask.

The people I know that got into Pharmacy school right out of high school were all top of their classes and had already worked in a pharmacy. If pharmacy is what you want to do, try and volunteer and shadow some pharmacists or get a job in a pharmacy and go for it!:)