How does repeated grades affect AMCAS GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plrae12

studentforlife
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, how does repeating a class from (ie) D to an A affect your calculated AMCAS GPA? Does it significantly change it?

It's my first time applying and i had to take some classes post bacc and i don't really know how amcas calculates the GPAs. I'd really appreciate some infos on this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

plrae12 said:
Hi, how does repeating a class from (ie) D to an A affect your calculated AMCAS GPA? Does it significantly change it?

It's my first time applying and i had to take some classes post bacc and i don't really know how amcas calculates the GPAs. I'd really appreciate some infos on this. Thanks.

AMCAS will take each grade for whatever it is. Both classes will show up and be calculated.

Example... 4 credit class, 2.0 first attempt, 4.0 second attempt turns into 8 credits of 3.0.

MollyMalone said:
AMCAS will take each grade for whatever it is. Both classes will show up and be calculated.

Example... 4 credit class, 2.0 first attempt, 4.0 second attempt turns into 8 credits of 3.0.

so they average the grades which means that repeating will increase your amcas gpa somehow.

Members don't see this ad :)
how about if you get a D in a class but it shows up as an R from repeating it on my transcript. How do you enter that? If I entered it as a D how does AMCAS verify it compared to my transcripts?

heaterfeater said:
how about if you get a D in a class but it shows up as an R from repeating it on my transcript. How do you enter that? If I entered it as a D how does AMCAS verify it compared to my transcripts?

You have to enter the class again, where you repeated it at, and your new grade, then there's boxes that you check at the bottom of the application--you check "repeat."

plrae12 said:
You have to enter the class again, where you repeated it at, and your new grade, then there's boxes that you check at the bottom of the application--you check "repeat."

I've got that part, but do I enter the first one as a D or an R. Potentially if I enter it a D amcas can't verify if it was actually a ABCDF because all it says on my transcript is an R.

heaterfeater said:
I've got that part, but do I enter the first one as a D or an R. Potentially if I enter it a D amcas can't verify if it was actually a ABCDF because all it says on my transcript is an R.

I actually repeated a class at another university so both grades show up for me. I found this on the AMCAS coursework help section:

Exception: Repeated courses and courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies should be entered exactly as they appeared on the transcript issued prior to removal/repeat.

Just to be on the safe side though, you should email someone at amcas and verify it. It would be great if you can post what they say..it'd be helpful to everyone who has the same problem

heaterfeater said:

See above. They are not kidding when they say you need to enter in the grade you received before the retake. Trying to hoodwink amcas on grades looks real bad.