How does retaking classes look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowkid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I am a fourth year student in computer engineering (5 year program).

Before this semester grades released I had 3.75 GPA .. I decided that I wanted to take some additional courses to plan on applying to dental school some time in the future.

I was extremely lazy this semester, I came out with a 2.5 Semester GPA. Thats after I dropped chem 2.
This semester didn't destroy my overall GPA (now a 3.6) but it did essentially ruin my science GPA ... (Unless you count computer engineering as science, which I do not.)

My semester grades are :
BIO2 : C-
CHM2 : Withdrew
CHM2 LAB: D+
Comp eng. courses : A & C+

If I intend to get back to being the student I was for the last 3 years and get excellent grades, whats my play here?

retake BIO2? retake CHM2 LAB?

(If it makes any difference I got an A in BIO1 and CHM1)

I will be retaking CHM2 in the spring regardless.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think retaking classes is necessarily a bad thing, it depends how your school handles the retaken class, sometimes they replace the grade altogether in which case I would certainly retake the class. I believe dental schools would rather you do better on your upper division classes rather than retaking a bunch of classes. You could pull off an excuse that you were really sick that semester.

What I think you should do.

1.If retaken grades replace old grades, then retake the class.

2. If not, try and do really well on your upper division classes and if you are questioned about those grades give a satisfactory excuse, because its only one semester.

Hope this helps

Despite what your UG does - dental school will average every class grade you've ever taken. Also most wnat you to have above a C in every prereq. Therefore if you got a C- in genchem you must retake it.

1.If retaken grades replace old grades, then retake the class.

2. If not, try and do really well on your upper division classes and if you are questioned about those grades give a satisfactory excuse, because its only one semester.

Hope this helps

Despite what your UG does - dental school will average every class grade you've ever taken. Also most wnat you to have above a C in every prereq. Therefore if you got a C- in genchem you must retake it.

NO averaging...

IT WILL COUNT TWICE...

Example: if you get D in bio then you repeat it and you get B in bio.

You will have 4 credits of D and 4 credits of B. NOT 4 credits of D+B/2

so be careful when repeating.