How does the Army scramble work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fried Plantaris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2021 GME Update shows that for many specialties there are more applicants than seats. Any given year, it seems like approximately 25% of the cohort is not selected for their first choice specialty.

When you fill out the application, my understanding is you can only rank 5 spots...do they require you to rank 5 places or could you leave them unfilled? For example lets say I apply to a specialty where there are only 3 locations. Do I have to fill out the other 2 with transition year spots or can I leave them blank in hopes of something else? Last year it appears 2 spots for dermatology went unfilled. It would obviously be better to have a chance to scramble into another specialty than automatically resigning oneself to a transition year, at least in my case where I would be looking to go straight through without a GMO tour. Asking for a friend

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have to fill out the other 2 with transition year spots or can I leave them blank in hopes of something else?
Yes, you have to fill in all 5 spots even if your desired specialty only has 3 spots. I'm an M2 and HPSP. The advice I have received is to NOT put a specialty you cannot see yourself doing. So in your example, it would be best to rank the 3 locations and then 2 transition year/prelim med positions. You can apply for derm again the next cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you have to fill in all 5 spots even if your desired specialty only has 3 spots. I'm an M2 and HPSP. The advice I have received is to NOT put a specialty you cannot see yourself doing. So in your example, it would be best to rank the 3 locations and then 2 transition year/prelim med positions. You can apply for derm again the next cycle
can you rank spots for GMO?

like could i do
1. derm
2. neurosurgery
3. GMO
4. GMO
5. GMO

can you rank spots for GMO?

like could i do
1. derm
2. neurosurgery
3. GMO
4. GMO
5. GMO
You can't be a GMO without completing an intern year. Instead you could rank transitional intern years and then go do gmo which is a separate match process midway through your intern year.