How does this schedule seem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Organic Chem I
Physics II
Neuropsychology
Psychology (easy class)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do organic chem and physics together. Unless you are VERY good in physics. Organic is going to be the hardest class you will ever take. Lots of memorization and critical thinking skills. It is like learning a whole new language.

But that is just my advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do organic chem and physics together. Unless you are VERY good in physics. Organic is going to be the hardest class you will ever take. Lots of memorization and critical thinking skills. It is like learning a whole new language.

I know a lot of people who have taken orgo and (algebra based) physics together (even some people who never took physics in high school and aren't gifted with math). my friends who have done this were busy but did well. It's not that unusual for premeds to take these 2 courses together and is certainly doable if you are good with time management

to the OP - I think this schedule is fine, definitely doable. orgo and physics will require most of your time. psych and neuropsych are pretty easy

Way to unnecessarily exaggerate the difficulty of prereqs. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

OP you're fine.

Way to unnecessarily exaggerate the difficulty of prereqs. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

OP you're fine.

Seriously? And you aren't exaggerating. I was just trying to help.

I've been an SI for organic for 2 years and I have seen smart students mess up their transcripts by trying to take took many premed prereqs at the same time. This is especially true of organic.

And all of this depends on your school and how difficult the classes are. The professor I took/worked for went to princeton so...

Like I said, it was just my advice.

OP you're fine.

People come on SDN and complain ALL THE TIME about how they got wrecked by organic chemistry and physics. If you are experienced and already know how to study for these classes, yeah, they're not that hard. But you can expect that, if OP is even asking that question, he's probably not one of the people described in my last sentence.

I've been an SI for organic for 2 years and I have seen smart students mess up their transcripts by trying to take took many premed prereqs at the same time. This is especially true of organic.

And all of this depends on your school and how difficult the classes are. The professor I took/worked for went to princeton so...

it's not so much about being smart. I've seen average students who did well in these classes and I've also known very smart people who did poorly. it's all about how you manage your time, how you study, if you put in the time to do practice problems (especially true for physics) and get help when you need it. I have a friend who did a post-bacc program and took these classes at the same time while working and volunteering. she was a B student in undergrad but she got A's in these classes. she's smart but not a genius. she did it by being completely dedicated, putting in the time needed to do well

I kind of have to take ochem and physics together anyways since I need to take the mcat next summer and to graduate on time
In all honesty I was more worried about whether I should take neuropsych if at all because I can delay that class later on, so will neuropsych with ochem and physics be too hard of a load to handle?
Will neuropsych count as a scuenxe course for bcpm

Pretty light.

You'll have a lot of free time.

Like I always have said, the two essential things to do well in any class is dedication and organization (intelligence plays a role too, but anyone can do well just by being dedicated and organized). There are numerous resources out there to help you with the prereqs (Khan Academy, wikipremed etc.).

If students still struggle despite being dedicated and organized (which is rare because students fail for not following this advice), they should consult their profs' office hours, go for tutoring etc.

Having orgo and physics is time-consuming but it is by far NOT the most difficult combination in college. If premeds are finding this difficult, college is doing the right thing for weeding them out. Medical school curricula will be far worse.

FYI, where the professor went for grad school isn't correlated with how difficult their class is.

it's not so much about being smart. I've seen average students who did well in these classes and I've also known very smart people who did poorly. it's all about how you manage your time, how you study, if you put in the time to do practice problems (especially true for physics) and get help when you need it. I have a friend who did a post-bacc program and took these classes at the same time while working and volunteering. she was a B student in undergrad but she got A's in these classes. she's smart but not a genius. she did it by being completely dedicated, putting in the time needed to do well

This exactly.

I kind of have to take ochem and physics together anyways since I need to take the mcat next summer and to graduate on time
In all honesty I was more worried about whether I should take neuropsych if at all because I can delay that class later on, so will neuropsych with ochem and physics be too hard of a load to handle?
Will neuropsych count as a scuenxe course for bcpm

If I were you, I would take o chem I this semester and hold off on physics II until next semester. Most students find o chem II much easier to prepare for than o chem I. Truly, once you get the basics under your belt and you learn HOW to study for the class it is much less difficult.

As for neuropsych, I did not find it to be very difficult or time consuming. I took it while doing my 2nd year of post-bacc with all other upper level bios and didn't have any problems with it. Good luck in school.

WINTER
GENERAL CHEMISTRY I
BIOLOGY I
GENERAL PHYSICS I

SUMMER
GENERAL CHEMISTRY II
BIOLOGY II
GENERAL PHYSICS II

FALL
ORGANIC CHEM I
MICROBIOLOGY
GENETICS

Does this look pretty good? I wanted to try and make it as easy as possible.:confused:

WINTER
GENERAL CHEMISTRY I
BIOLOGY I
GENERAL PHYSICS I

SUMMER
GENERAL CHEMISTRY II
BIOLOGY II
GENERAL PHYSICS II

FALL
ORGANIC CHEM I
MICROBIOLOGY
GENETICS

Does this look pretty good? I wanted to try and make it as easy as possible.:confused:

Two things to keep in mind.

1. Stop hijacking threads to ask your question. You come off as disrespectful and selfish.
2. Consult the schedule thread.

OP, be sure to refer to the schedule thread in the future. Because other members chose to respond here, I continued the conversation.

Oooops! Belay my last, thanks for pointing me in the right direction