How does UIC pharmacy acceptance work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myeyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a junior in high school and plan to pursue pharmacy. I have a couple of questions about University of Illinois at Chicago Pharmacy school that have been bothering me over the last couple of weeks.

In UIC, there is a program that goes by GPPA.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is the Guaranteed Professional Program Admissions Initiative?.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The GPPA program allows a limited number of freshmen per year to be admitted to UIC with guaranteed admission to one of several professional degree programs. Students need only maintain pre-set curriculum and performance criteria to maintain their guarantee..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With the security of GPPA, students are able to focus on undergraduate studies and have the freedom to pursue many subject areas and disciplines. In addition, participants have early and frequent contact with professional school faculty and advisors. Most students in GPPA also benefit from the facilities and services of the UIC Honors College..​

Admission to the GPPA program is competitive, and there are a limited number of spaces available per year. Medicine, Pharmacy and Dentistry have traditionally been our most competitive programs. Please click on the Degrees link to the left to see a full listing of available programs

Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- a minimum ACT composite score of 28 or SAT score of 1240
- rank in the top 15% of the high school class
- be a U.S. citizen/permanent resident for Medicine, Dentistry and Public Health

- be a resident of Illinois for Medicine, Dentistry and Public Health [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]programs[/SIZE].

I'm afraid i cannot enter the GPPA program due to my rank and GPA. Since this gurantees admission for those that DO make it, the number of acceptance greatly goes against me, and discourages me greatly towards my possibilities of entering pharmacy school at UIC. What can I do to work for my admissions once I enter college?

Thanks!​

Members don't see this ad.

This is a special program. The majority of students at UIC COP enter by regular admission not this. In my class, there were about 20 GPPA students. The key to get into UIC Pharm is good grades and PCAT scores. You can always make an appointment with a member of the admissions staff.