How dressy furthermore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeMUSC

D3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive just bought a really nice dark navy blue suit. What is the general consensus on color of ties? Im thinking red send a signal, hey Im a cocky "a**shole". and blue sends, "im a wuss who wont step on anyones toes"...... im thinking about a silver tie, but then that sends, "i think im cooler than everyone"". lol, what color to wear?
oh and has anyone ever seen like just crazy ties, like cartoons, or teeth on 'em?

Members don't see this ad.

Silver is a nice color. Not too bold, but not boring. I like silver.

One vote for the silver tie! :thumbup:

Go with red, it's a power tie!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend a bolo (western) tie with a mustache -always a classy combo.

Oh yeah, with cowboy boots. Big bolo's are the best. Big buckles. And a ten gallon hat. Just forget the suit. Go with jogging pants, the old Jack Tripper kind, with cowboy boots. You'll get in for sure. :laugh:

Better yet, get one of those cardboard smiley faces, and when they ask you a question you don't know the answer too, just flash it. :laugh:

It is most important to chose a tie that goes well with the suit and shirt. The nicest Brooks Borthers tie will look stupid when it is incorrectly paired to the garment as a whole. I would also like to add my personal observation about ties: most male pre-dental students don't know which knot to use, and how to tie knots correctly. I have seen many people with a 'four-in-hand' knot (a very narrow knot) paired with a wide collar. Wide collars almost always call for a 'full windsor'. Make sure the knot is symmetrical, and tight enough to stay in position. If you can do it, try to put a 'dimple' in the knot. It gives a classy, refined look that pulls everything together nicely.

This is how a knot should look. (Notice the dimple!)

Has anybody else noticed an insane amount of people lately are wearing pink/purple ties? I blame Donald Trump :)

HangOnSloopy said:
I blame Donald Trump :)

Yes, as David Letterman puts it, "That guy's a hump, ain't he?"

Paint a suit on yourself! :laugh:

speaking of Trump, i think you should dress like Raj did on the first day of The Apprentice (and don't forget the cane!)

Did you ever think of a yellow tie, those are really nice they are fresh and cheery. It also depends what color your shirt is. I know two guys that used the color their shirts (a bright green) as the main item and a simple tie on top, it actually came out different (in a good way) and cool. :thumbup:

yeah...HANGONSLOOPY...I blame "The Donald" for pink ties. As for the initial question at hand...I would go with the school colors. i.e University of Louisville = Red Tie. University of Kentucky = Blue Tie. UCLA = Sky Blue Tie. UOP = Orange Tie w/ Charcoal Suit. Nova = ...uh, I don't know. Sure, I know it sounds like a bit of cheese...but have fun and F$#% 'em if they can't take a joke! Never sweat a brief and never sweat an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I dress like this guy during all my interviews. I also prepare a monologue in which I always say the words "greed is good" somewhere in it.

Attachments

• crusoe_geckox.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 132
JakeMUSC said:
Ive just bought a really nice dark navy blue suit. What is the general consensus on color of ties? Im thinking red send a signal, hey Im a cocky "a**shole". and blue sends, "im a wuss who wont step on anyones toes"...... im thinking about a silver tie, but then that sends, "i think im cooler than everyone"". lol, what color to wear?
oh and has anyone ever seen like just crazy ties, like cartoons, or teeth on 'em?

I agree with the other posters that stated you should have some contrast. A blue shirt paired with a yellow tie is rumored to convey honesty on an uncounscious level with job recruiters, and blue or red ties (similar to the ones featured by politicians) often help codify a mature image. Moreover, wear something that you feel comfortable in - although don't go too over the top (e.g. that blinking tie from two christmases ago).

I would go with 1 of these 2 options. . . .

1. Gold on gold. Let's learn from the UCLA football team (at least the alternate gold/gold uni's on NCAA football on playstation). Gold suit, gold shirt, gold tie, and gold shoes, of course. You'll be so money, baby---but you'll know it.

2. Dress like Ben Affleck from Good Will Hunting when he goes in as Will for the job interview. Pants that are way too short. Ugly 80's grey color. White socks. Make sure you don't spend more than $50 on the whole ensemble. Also make sure you say "retainer" somewhere in the interview and try to get some cash up front from the interviewers.

I'd say with either of those 2 options you'd be in like flint.

Blue shirt with yellow tie, i think i like that idea. thanks, i ll try it

you guys, i just had a terrible clothing experience this weekend! i had just driven 7 hours and was almost at marquette when i realized.... i forgot my suit!!! it was 8 at night and the malls closed at 9, and we didn't even know where a mall might be in town! fortunately we were able to super fast find a mall and a clothes store and try on and purchase a new suit all in 45 minutes :eek: i would of had to cancel my interview if it had been half an hour later :thumbdown: so i now have two suits :rolleyes: well, at least it turned out okay! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Biogirl361 said:
you guys, i just had a terrible clothing experience this weekend! i had just driven 7 hours and was almost at marquette when i realized.... i forgot my suit!!! it was 8 at night and the malls closed at 9, and we didn't even know where a mall might be in town! fortunately we were able to super fast find a mall and a clothes store and try on and purchase a new suit all in 45 minutes :eek: i would of had to cancel my interview if it had been half an hour later :thumbdown: so i now have two suits :rolleyes: well, at least it turned out okay! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Holy schmuck you are lucky!!! I have had nightmares about that myself - open up the suitcase only to find I only packed my shoes.

I live in a rural college town without any decent malls, so I tried to drive to DC to pick up a nice designer suit. I only drove about 50 miles before getting into a car accident!

So I ended up settling for a decent suit from Ann Taylor right here in town. The cost to repair my car is equal to the price of my suit. :rolleyes:

Sprgrover said:
Holy schmuck you are lucky!!! I have had nightmares about that myself - open up the suitcase only to find I only packed my shoes.

that's funny, because i did indeed pack my shoes, but not the rest of the suit!

BONAFIED said:
I recommend a bolo (western) tie with a mustache -always a classy combo.
That is one of the funniest replies ever! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's why I would suggest always traveling with your suit in a carry-on when flying to an interview. Can you imagine your luggage getting sent somewhere else on the day of an interview? Yikes!

jheidenr said:
That's why I would suggest always traveling with your suit in a carry-on when flying to an interview. Can you imagine your luggage getting sent somewhere else on the day of an interview? Yikes!

LOL. Im putting my suit on and going to the interview. That should cut out on some mistakes.

jheidenr said:

That's what I do for that very same reason.

jheidenr said:
Plus, in a suit bag it doesn't get as wrinkled.

Can I please get some more reviews/opinions about what color of tie??

Thanks

Deciding what tie to pair with what suit is qutie difficult. It is such a decision based on personal taste. If I were you, I would try to stay away from 'hip colors' like pink, silver, and gold. Dentistry is a conservative profession, and you don't want to look like an MBA student. That is just my humble opinion though

edkNARF said:
Deciding what tie to pair with what suit is qutie difficult. It is such a decision based on personal taste. If I were you, I would try to stay away from 'hip colors' like pink, silver, and gold. Dentistry is a conservative profession, and you don't want to look like an MBA student. That is just my humble opinion though

I agree. I would go with either stripes or an even pattern woven into the silk. As far as color, don't go with bright, flashy hues. For example, all reds are not the same. If you are having trouble with creating the 'right' image, then simply ask for some help when you are in the department store - the salesmen usually have a very good eye.

Sprgrover said:
I agree. I would go with either stripes or an even pattern woven into the silk. As far as color, don't go with bright, flashy hues. For example, all reds are not the same. If you are having trouble with creating the 'right' image, then simply ask for some help when you are in the department store - the salesmen usually have a very good eye.

Righto Sprgrover, when I told the saleswoman at Men's Warehouse that I was going on interview she told me the specific cut of a suit I should get as well as conservative choices of shirts and ties. She was actually incredibly helpful. This just goes to show you that you that one of the smart things you can ever do is ask for help!

Sorry...but at first it sounded like a Men's Wearhouse testimonial.

jdcinza13 said:
Sorry...but at first it sounded like a Men's Wearhouse testimonial.

Oh pah-lease! I don't work for Men's Wearhouse, I have no stake in their financial success. I have always gotten excellent service from them at multiple locations. I am confident that if you go their, you will see what I mean.

edkNARF said:
Oh pah-lease! I don't work for Men's Wearhouse, I have no stake in their financial success. I have always gotten excellent service from them at multiple locations. I am confident that if you go their, you will see what I mean.

I don't work there either but will always refer people to go there. They are VERY helpful.

ditto on the Mens Wearhouse... very knowledgable staff!!!

Biogirl361 said:

biogirl, I do need some advice on how ladies should dress..we need suits?!

The Color Of Your Tie Will Not Be A Factor On Your Acceptance. I Think You Guys Are Taking This Overboard. Just Wear A Suite And Tie And You Will Be Fine!

Biogirl361 said:

Biogirl361 said:

Coulda just returned the new suit after ur interview. Two weeks ago I left my suit on the airplane. Good thing they eventually found it.....

and I would recommend a bow tie like Raj from Apprentice :thumbup:

i think the red tie is the way to go with a blue suit it is classic and reccomended by many profesionals as the only way to go on an interview. the tie does not need to be all red but have some red in it somewhere... that is the way i am going.

I know I was told that women should wear suits (uggh!), great if you have them already, not so great if you dont, wont wear them again for a long time, and have to put in a bunch of money. You can go to a bunch of places. I know Ann Taylor is very nice, you buy a suit there and you will have it forever-classy- you could also go to the limited or maybe express. I went to all those places and then i found this place called Casual Corner, its okay, more like um, casual clothes, but they have a collection of suits, not what I completely like but do-able for the price (suit together 100+$) (by the way its hard finiding it cheaper than that-if anyone knows tell me!)
But putting that all aside you can really wear anything you want as long its professional and decent. You also want to look comfortable.
hope it helps

xiaoxiao said: