How dumb are interns allowed to be in month 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
performing reflexes as a EP, unless they have gullian barree or transverse myelitis -- may get you whipped. useless test.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

performing reflexes as a EP, unless they have gullian barree or transverse myelitis -- may get you whipped. useless test.

I disagree, if for no other reason than to be able to recognize abnormal reflexes when you actually need to see them.

Or...maybe you were joking, and I'm just being too serious?

So you don't routinely perform a bulbocavernosus reflex?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i did not carry a reflex hammer as a resident. as an attending, there is one reflex hammer in the department. It hasnt moved in 2 years. i used it 5 times at most over the last 2 years and when i do, nurses look at me funny.

I guess we can finish this up with a simple statement.
Interns are allowed (and expected) to be ignorant.
They are not allowed to be dumb. Dumb is ignorance without asking for help and just doing it. Dumb gets people killed.

Don't be dumb.

Reactions: 3 users

If you don't know that every chart on a patient with low back pain NEEDS to have normal L4, S1, and EHL 5/5, normal gait documented, then you are screwing up. This is medical documentation 101. I document this on ALL back pains, no matter how obviously chronic it is.

Most back pain is chronic back dominant back pain, but RED FLAGS do exist. You need to know them, and be able to effectively document that you looked for them, and they weren't there.

I disagree, if for no other reason than to be able to recognize abnormal reflexes when you actually need to see them.

Or...maybe you were joking, and I'm just being too serious?

Same / what @HooliganSnail said. Even my chronic back pain patients get documented motor and reflex functions of the BLEs. Don't care if they were just here yesterday or if their PMD just had an MRI done last week.

You don't have to be intelligent. You just have to work hard and be dependable. Ask for help on the rest.

So I tried to study a little, just to keep my brain working... I am starting Nephro next month. Holy crap! I don't remember anything. Stuff I learned in MS1, MS2, STEP1, STEP2, and shelfs is all gone. Anyone feel the same?

Reactions: 2 users
Intern Year 101:
1) Don't lie.
2) Follow through
3) Don't be a sketchball