How early to apply for aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A resident at my Rads program tells me it can be very hard to get away rotations and it's best to apply well in advance of when you actually want to rotate there. My question is, when should I start sending out applications? I'd be doing my aways in early to mid 2009. Yes, I know that's almost 2 years from now, but I want to know so I can keep this stuff in the back of my mind. I'm looking at the big name academic west coast places, like everyone else, ugh.

What's the procedure for things like this? I looked at a website for a department I want to rotate at to get more information, but they don't really give any information about how and when to apply except to say AN AWAY DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU AN INTERVIEW. Thanks for the warning, but how do I do one anyways?

Thanks,
N

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs don't start accepting away rotation applications until a certain date -- usually April 1 or April 15 at the earliest. You won't find out if you're accepted until several weeks later.

These dates for other programs are later.

Finally some programs do a sort of rolling admissions process. Something like this: if you want to rotate here in July, we start accepting applications on April 1; if you want to rotate here in August, we start accepting ....

At all but the most competitive places, if you get an application in early, you'll land an away there, which means you'll get a courtesy interview, but it does not of course mean you'll be ranked highly by them.

I wouldn't really recommend doing an away rotation in the early part of the year. That would mean they are sending out interview invitations around 9 months after you're there, and forming their rank-list a year afterwards. Best time to do aways would be Aug-Oct.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't really recommend doing an away rotation in the early part of the year. That would mean they are sending out interview invitations around 9 months after you're there, and forming their rank-list a year afterwards. Best time to do aways would be Aug-Oct.

do you even recommend doing away rotations? i have heard that as a student rotating you don't really contribute anything so you are risking making a bad impression? ..it's not like you would really be able to impress anyone by watching them work...??

In my case I want to do 1 or 2 aways because I have a strong desire to be far away from where I currently am. I want programs to take that seriously and not just pass on me because they think I'm going to stay here on the east coast. I hope it'll leave a good impression by rotating at the places I'd most like to go? I hope I wouldn't just be wasting my time.

My reasons are: I'm from this area, but I really didn't want to be so close to where I grew up for MD/PhD. I ended up here because it just happened to be by far the best program to interview me and then later I was lucky to be accepted. I have very little family, almost no family support, and I'm single so I want to make sure west coast programs know that I'm serious about coming out there. I have no good reason for the west coast except I've been a few times and I really like where I've been (Cali a few times, a few different places, Seattle once), I like that it's really different, and there are a couple very strong academic programs and I'm serious about basic/translational science Radiology research.

Email the program coordinators of the places you are most interested in. Some programs have very early deadlines in January and February, but do not give you final notice until June/July about whether or not you were approved. Many places require immunizations, test scores, certified paperwork from your school, etc. I did about 6 aways lasting from 1 day to one month. Some were just emails to PC's and PD's asking if I could come by (showed interest) to visit the program. Some of the one day visits really helped me decided on ranking and applying. You do not want to look back and wish that you had not waited. I started scheduling some of my aways in October, November of my 3rd year for my fourth year. Remember that it is interview season, so be patient and try to only email these people.

Do you really need to apply for these aways that early..3rd year?

How helpful is it in obtaining residency where you like? Also, how long is it sufficient to be on the away?

Thanx