How easy is it to move to a new location for a job as an attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibarne242

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say for instance someone does residency in Chicago and decides they want to move to NYC (or surrounding area). Is it relatively doable to apply for and be accepted to a job as an attending there after doing residency in Chicago?

My scenario: I have a boyfriend who moved to NYC with me for my clinicals. He never found work in his field, although he has a stable job (which isn't fulfilling). I'm thinking of doing residency in Chicago to expose him to maybe an easier job market, and also to be closer to my dad, who is very supportive. But I love NYC a lot (it's my favorite city) and I want to come back after residency. I did have some interviews in the greater NYC area this cycle. But I also like Chicago a lot too almost as much as NYC, and I also think it would just be good to be in a more familiar environment during my training, and to just be in a different city with a different vibe for a few years. The programs that interviewed me in Chicago were also awesome. It wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of my training which metro area I pick, except for how Chicago would allow me to be close to my dad and his ability offer some emotional support from time to time. Anyone have a recommendation?

Edit: I chose family med as my specialty

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's easy depending on your specialty.
My specialty I can literally get hired in any state.
My friend's husband just finished a super specialized fellowship and there were literally 4 jobs in the country for exactly what he wants to do.
So it completely depends on your specialty in regards to the job market, but in general physicians can find jobs throughout the country.

Reactions: 1 user
It's easy depending on your specialty.
My specialty I can literally get hired in any state.
My friend's husband just finished a super specialized fellowship and there were literally 4 jobs in the country for exactly what he wants to do.
So it completely depends on your specialty in regards to the job market, but in general physicians can find jobs throughout the country.
OK well I'm FM

Members don't see this ad :)
OK well I'm FM

My attendings told me that for primary care jobs (FM/IM) you can point anywhere on the map in the US and get more job offers than you know what to do with, so I'd assume you'd be completely fine.

Reactions: 5 users