How far down a rank list do matched peds residents usually go?

Started by helvetica
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

How far down your list did you go?

  • 1st Choice

    Votes: 9 56.3%
  • 2nd Choice

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 3rd Choice

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 4th Choice

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 5th Choice

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6th Choice

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7th or lower

    Votes: 1 6.3%

  • Total voters
    16

helvetica

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen a few of these threads in other specialty forums and I've also looked through the NRMP data from 2013.

Seems like for ALL specialties, the majority (~85% of matched US Seniors) match at one of their top 4 choices. I was wondering if anyone had any info about what that percentage is for pediatrics (specifically, how many match at their top choice).

If anyone feels like posting their match year and what number they ended up at, that would be helpful too! 🙂

Good luck to everyone matching this year!!
 
Matched at my 3rd choice in 2009, but really in my mind my top 3 were 1a, 1b, 1c and I had to pick some order. Changing my mind every 30 seconds between those three drove me crazy for a good week and a half, until I finally just set it and decided to let the match work. In the end, everyone around me was shocked that I put my ultimate destination 3rd...apparently I wouldn't stop talking about it in the weeks leading up to the Match, and everyone assumed that was my #1 choice.

I believe that overall, there is a higher percentage for peds applicants to match at their top choice. Of course this is somewhat dependent on the type of applicant you are - if you're only applying to extremely competitive locations like CHOP, Boston, Texas, Cincinnati, and Northwestern, your mileage out of the general match stats may vary considerably. If you're a more typical peds applicant who is applying to less competitive locales, your odds will be more in your favor.
 
Matched at my 3rd choice in 2009, but really in my mind my top 3 were 1a, 1b, 1c and I had to pick some order. Changing my mind every 30 seconds between those three drove me crazy for a good week and a half, until I finally just set it and decided to let the match work. In the end, everyone around me was shocked that I put my ultimate destination 3rd...apparently I wouldn't stop talking about it in the weeks leading up to the Match, and everyone assumed that was my #1 choice.

I believe that overall, there is a higher percentage for peds applicants to match at their top choice. Of course this is somewhat dependent on the type of applicant you are - if you're only applying to extremely competitive locations like CHOP, Boston, Texas, Cincinnati, and Northwestern, your mileage out of the general match stats may vary considerably. If you're a more typical peds applicant who is applying to less competitive locales, your odds will be more in your favor.

Thanks for chiming in! I feel like my top 2 are also like 1a and 1b, but my next few change daily. I applied to a good mix of programs, but I feel like my top choices are more out of my league, so I think I'm going to take some extra time to decide what my 3 and 4 will be. Thanks! 🙂
 
I've seen a few of these threads in other specialty forums and I've also looked through the NRMP data from 2013.

Seems like for ALL specialties, the majority (~85% of matched US Seniors) match at one of their top 4 choices. I was wondering if anyone had any info about what that percentage is for pediatrics (specifically, how many match at their top choice).

If anyone feels like posting their match year and what number they ended up at, that would be helpful too! 🙂

Good luck to everyone matching this year!!

I think this highly depends on the tier of the pediatric residency programs for sure. With peds, the rank list is affected by so many variances due to so many preferences that come into play it's pointless.