How far down rank list for TY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkingSkin18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have talked to a few friends with a similar question, and I realize that this is extremely variable. I have been fortunate to receive interviews at some of the more competitive TYs (Scripps Mercy, Colorado P/SL, Riverside in Virginia, Aurora St. Luke's in Milwaukee, Virginia Mason, Gundersen in LaCrosse WI). Assuming no geographical preference, do I have a good chance of matching at one of these? How frequently does someone fall lower than #6 on intern year rank list? The interviews have been so conversational and straightforward that I don't know how much they can impact things.

Members don't see this ad.

TYs are very volatile. Make sure to throw in some prelim medicine as backups. I have heard 6 total is pretty good, but I tend to consider ranking 2-3 TYs as equivalent to ranking an additional prelim.

I have talked to a few friends with a similar question, and I realize that this is extremely variable. I have been fortunate to receive interviews at some of the more competitive TYs (Scripps Mercy, Colorado P/SL, Riverside in Virginia, Aurora St. Luke's in Milwaukee, Virginia Mason, Gundersen in LaCrosse WI). Assuming no geographical preference, do I have a good chance of matching at one of these? How frequently does someone fall lower than #6 on intern year rank list? The interviews have been so conversational and straightforward that I don't know how much they can impact things.

curious how things turned out?