how far down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newapp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
couple rumors heard along the trail that in these last stretch of waiting have stuck out in my mind and wanted to see if they were true:

1. Programs that are not "top 10" to fill all their spots usually have to use who they have ranked in their top 20

2. Ranking 7 programs is a 90% successful match rate.

ideas?????? good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

couple rumors heard along the trail that in these last stretch of waiting have stuck out in my mind and wanted to see if they were true:

1. Programs that are not "top 10" to fill all their spots usually have to use who they have ranked in their top 20

2. Ranking 7 programs is a 90% successful match rate.

ideas?????? good luck everyone.

I thought that an average program may go to 2-3 x the number of spots it has. So a residency with 3 residents a year will often go to the 9th person on their rank list.

1) Hard to say. Depends on the program and year. Every program fares better some years than others in terms of how far down the list they go. There is a degree of randomness I guess. Also depends on where highly- sought-after candidates rank that particular program.

2) Not true. How can ranking 7 programs give you a 90% match rate when the overall ophtho match rate is closer to 80-85% for US allopathic grads (the average # of interviews attended for successful applicants is 8)?

I thought that an average program may go to 2-3 x the number of spots it has. So a residency with 3 residents a year will often go to the 9th person on their rank list.

hmm so i guess if you interviewed at predominantly 2 spot programs (6 of my 9) then i need to hope that i'm in the top 4 at one of them? oh boy..... :(