How far in advance should I reach out to DA programs for externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SweetTooth07

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I am currently a D2 and interested in Dental Anesthesiology. I was wondering how many months ahead should I reach out to DA programs for externships? I want to do my first externship in the summer just before starting my 3rd year. Are there any documents I need to send and insurance I need to get for externships? And is there anything I should prepare for before going to the externship? Thank you!
 
You’ll have to email each program, they all require different things for an externship. But most want you to be a D3 when you come extern, but it might not be a hard requirement for all programs. Extern any time the year prior to applying and you’ll be fine