How far in advance should you register for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take the MCAT next May, when should I register for it?

Members don't see this ad.

As soon as the registration opens so find out when that is.

Usually spots fill up quickly, especially around college towns. Traveling for the MCAT is something you don't want to do.

Register as soon as you know what date you want. I figured out which date I wanted before it was even possible to register, and I registered as soon as I was able.

Members don't see this ad :)
now now now go go go!
MCAT spots fill up so fast. I tried to register for a March date in late December, and it was TOO LATE!

seriously, do it at least 3 months ahead of schedule. if you think about it this makes sense. prep courses usually go 3-4 months unless they're accelerated or special and they encourage people to sign up at the beginning of the course. even if people aren't doing prep courses, mcat prep usually takes 3-4 months.

I tried to switch 2 months out and ended up having to FLY TO A DIFFERENT STATE TO TAKE MY MCAT. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. the day before the mcat they say you should do absolutely nothing / do whatever you need to do to be relaxed. I was sobbing in an airport security line because I was running straight from lab, terrified I was going to miss my flight and my MCAT. I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone, not even the worst gunner in life.

Good luck. the actual MCAT is stressful enough - plan for it accordingly so that you minimize the pain associated with it. Even though I still did well, I wince whenever I think back to that day.

I didn't know spots filled that quickly...:oops:

I guess I better register for the MCAT today.

Yea get those later test times too. 8am test is not an ideal test time.

Registering now also lets you plan your study schedule for the test.

Yea get those later test times too. 8am test is not an ideal test time.

Registering now also lets you plan your study schedule for the test.

Even though I registered early, the only times available in the entire state for my test date were 8 AM. It was not ideal.

I hear that if you don't do so well and you make 2 attempts at the exam, schools will average the 2 scores?

I registered for one of the dates in April a few weeks ago.