how far would you go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering, if during interview someone asks you "tell me about yourself?" how would you answer this questions? of course you would say your background, but how about how you got interested in dentistry? should this be included too? any more suggestion?
any input will be highly appreciated!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just wondering, if during interview someone asks you "tell me about yourself?" how would you answer this questions? of course you would say your background, but how about how you got interested in dentistry? should this be included too? any more suggestion?
any input will be highly appreciated!
Thanks

keep it short and sweet! Tell them only things what matter...ie things that relate to dentistry and why you're there. Don't waste your time on things like...I have 2 little brothers and we moved to New York because it's exciting to live there..... because they can careless about those things. They want to hear what kind of value you will bring to their school and things that you have done that are relavent to dentistry.

keep it short and sweet! Tell them only things what matter...ie things that relate to dentistry and why you're there. Don't waste your time on things like...I have 2 little brothers and we moved to New York because it's exciting to live there..... because they can careless about those things. They want to hear what kind of value you will bring to their school and things that you have done that are relavent to dentistry.

Actually I talked to admissions officer and they told me that they like hearing about where you grew up, if you have brothers and sisters, etc. They like to get an understanding of your life circumstances and how you eventually ended up at their dental school. If you start at the beginning you'll be able to talk about everything they would have asked you about anyway (e.g. how you got interested in dentistry, how you pursued it, etc.) and it will take the whole time and there won't be any awkward silences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I talked to admissions officer and they told me that they like hearing about where you grew up, if you have brothers and sisters, etc. They like to get an understanding of your life circumstances and how you eventually ended up at their dental school. If you start at the beginning you'll be able to talk about everything they would have asked you about anyway (e.g. how you got interested in dentistry, how you pursued it, etc.) and it will take the whole time and there won't be any awkward silences.

I'd recommend only talking about personal aspects of your life only if they relate to dentistry in some way. You don't want the interviewer to remember you as the person who has a cute pets rather than the person who has a passion for dentistry. :)

this question in an interview TOTALLY BLINDSIDED me.
At Case Western both my interviewers asked me this. I was like "Um, i grew up in bla bla, 2 brothers, um, go to college....."

AFter five interviews i had I thought that that one was my worse. ironically Case was the only school to accept me. I think maybe they'd like to hear a little about your past, but after i first got that question I started to describe myself more as a person and my attributes than my life history

I'd recommend only talking about personal aspects of your life only if they relate to dentistry in some way. You don't want the interviewer to remember you as the person who has a cute pets rather than the person who has a passion for dentistry. :)

I was asked this in 3 out of 6 interviews so far... I started by telling them about what city I was born in, and ended with a long discussion about my turtle, my guppy, and both of their tanks. I sort of went into the interviews with the mindset that they've selected me and decided that I've made the cutoff as far as academics go (GPA and DAT scores), and that they already know about my interest in dentistry (personal statement), so I'm only really there to show them that I know how to talk.

EDIT: i got accepted to all of the interviewed places (so far), btw :)

Seriously guys, don't put so much stock into this question. Talking about your history (especially if it doesn't relate to dentistry) is not going to make or break your acceptance. For interviews, all you have to do is be able to hold a conversation. Truthful, earnest answers and a smile on your face will get you in.