How fast are Step 2 scores...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBuzzLightYear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation... I like my Step 1 score and I figure Step 2 could only hurt me. I want to take Step 2 as late as possible. If Match day is March 16th, how far back could I take my Step 2 and have residencies not get my scores??

Members don't see this ad.

The programs submit their rank order a few weeks before match day (I think it's on the ERAS website) so your can take the test even earlier. I got my score just about exactly four weeks after I took Step II, so you're probably okay if you take Step II late January or later. Again, look at ERAS and it may show you when schools submit their lists.

DrBuzzLightYear said:
Here's the situation... I like my Step 1 score and I figure Step 2 could only hurt me. I want to take Step 2 as late as possible. If Match day is March 16th, how far back could I take my Step 2 and have residencies not get my scores??
Anytime after you submit your residency application (Sep. 1 for ERAS/NRMP), you could take the Step II CK and NOT release it to residency programs. This is an option you'll select on the ERAS site. I'm in a similar boat as you and that's what I'm doing. I'm taking Step II CK in December or January so I won't have my results for interview season. (I'm going through the SF Match, so my timeline is shifted back even further.)

Members don't see this ad :)
bigfrank said:
Anytime after you submit your residency application (Sep. 1 for ERAS/NRMP), you could take the Step II CK and NOT release it to residency programs. This is an option you'll select on the ERAS site. I'm in a similar boat as you and that's what I'm doing. I'm taking Step II CK in December or January so I won't have my results for interview season. (I'm going through the SF Match, so my timeline is shifted back even further.)
but does it hurt you at all to not release your step II scores if you take the test in jan/feb? thanks for the help

DrBuzzLightYear said:
but does it hurt you at all to not release your step II scores if you take the test in jan/feb? thanks for the help
By that time, interviews are over. I can't imagine a program would care that much about Step II by that time. If your Step I is VERY GOOD, I wouldn't risk it. I wouldn't even bring Step II up unless specifically asked. I've already got good answers prepared if that comes up!

Hi there,
I do not know about Step II hurting you but the top level residency programs (Hopkins, MGH and Mayo) that I interviewed at, all wanted to know when I had taken USMLE Step II especially since my Step I score was great. I took Step II in August and after match, had nothing between me and graduation except to show up. It was a great vacation before starting internship. A couple of places were very happy that I had taken the exam and had my score already especially Virginia.
nbjmd :D