How frequently does this happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJS59

Reaction score
Just had the second interview of my interview day cancel and now I will likely need to come back on another day. It's not that big a deal and I get why (faculty busy with emergencies elsewhere, etc.), but just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical or research faculty?
Unclear. I am interviewing MD only so doubt it's research faculty, but not sure. I was just curious to see if this was something that happened regularly during interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect it is very rare but it can happen if there is a clinical emergency, a catastrophic event in one's research environment, or a personal/family emergency that can't wait 30 minutes and where a back-up interviewer can't be located on very short notice. While it is aggravating to have to go back another day (not virtual? are you at least in the area?), have some empathy for the interviewer who, in all likelihood, is having a much worse day than you are.

Reactions: 1 users
I suspect it is very rare but it can happen if there is a clinical emergency, a catastrophic event in one's research environment, or a personal/family emergency that can't wait 30 minutes and where a back-up interviewer can't be located on very short notice. While it is aggravating to have to go back another day (not virtual? are you at least in the area?), have some empathy for the interviewer who, in all likelihood, is having a much worse day than you are.
Thankfully it's virtual, and yeah I understand that's likely what happened so it's not that big a deal for me. This is just my first interview and I wasn't sure if this was something that happened normally. At least I have the interview and I'm grateful for that (as opposed to not having any as of a few weeks ago).

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I had to redo an interview. After we had completed the couple hours of informational sessions, there was a technical difficulty with the actual interview portion. I had already taken the day off work, and it was 3pm by the time they told us they could not fix it and we needed to reschedule. While I understand these things happen, I was really disappointed with the lack of contingency plan. I ended up having to take another half-day off work a couple weeks later, which was frustrating but I was grateful to redo it.
So needless to say - it happens! Things happen that we can't control, so handle it with grace and understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users