How funny/interesting/sad life could be...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medcluv

Never Give Up!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Evening all!

This question is posed to anyone who's willing to share their experiences and how they dealt with it. My experience in life thus far has been a fun ride or a stroll in a park. I'm glad that I now have a stablized goal, but at times when I start to find myself in doubts due to competition in, for instance, acing my classes, taking MCAT, applying to med school and actually getting in, and of course, other difficulties in life,... I personally deal with them by going back to the basics, such as, what do I see myself doing 2-5 or even 20 years from now and also, what do I enjoy most/what I'm most passionate about... I make work, homework and studies fun. I even make gardening or mowning the lawn fun. Hence for me life is funny and interesting, but could be sad if I let it get to me. So, how do you cope with things? For those of you who have taken the MCAT, applied to medical schools, interviewed, etc., how did you maintain focus and still kept going without ever giving up once you knew that you wanted to be in your chosen/desired profession?

Thanks in advance to all that replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I always try to get to the end of the day, to finish today's task before trying to envision tomorrow's.

I'm in grad school to keep myself occupied. 33 hours in one semester is no walk in the park, but it sure does keep my mind off of things, and allows me to gain an edge on classes I will eventually take in medical school. I keep focus by remembering why I am doing what I'm doing. If I didn't want to be a dcctor, I could give up right now. There's always an end goal or end goals I seek. Right now, I have two goals: do well in my classes and get into medical school. I look ahead to the future, but I try not to dwell too far ahead, because I first have to take the intermediate steps to get there. I guess I'll soon know how this is working out for me - it's gotten me this far! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is definitely a long, crazy road we're embarking down. I've been so neurotic about this process, but just received some news that has made it seem less important. My mom had a biopsy today, checking if some unidentified tissue in her lungs is cancerous. When she called me last week, I'd been freaking out about how no one has contacted me for an interview in a long time. Then, I suddenly had a lot more patience for this process and my thoughts are on her. I happen to work in my local ICU and have asked a pulmonologist if I can shadow him sometime soon. I tend to deal with stuff like this by trying to learn more about it.

On the other hand, I would love to be able to tell my mother that her daughter got into medical school and will someday make a wonderful doctor.

Thank you for the vent,
Diana

Hi Jack Adam/ DianaLynne,

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the time. I agree with you JA because we do have to take life one day at a time. It's very easy to give up, but we really truly love our future profession and therefore will keep climbing the mountain step by step to attain the goal or fulfill our purpose in life per se. As for you, dear Diana, feel free to vent. Thank you for sharing the information. Congratulations and I do sincerely wish your mom the very best. Thanks for posting, cottagepepper.

--Cheers

lord knows i know how odd life is.
i drive on knowing that if i didn't i would never escape the socio-economical shackles that hold me.
that i know i would end up doing something not as satisfying as taking care of sick children.
that i know i really wouldn't be satisfied with my life.
with all these things, how can i not be focused to get to where i want to be?