Jul 29, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I am new in this forum and am currently in the midst of the 2010 application cycle. I was just wondering what my chances are of getting into an MD program and which schools I should try looking into. I have used the school selector that someone made on this site but I was just wondering if anyone had some more inside information about certain schools that might be advantageous to me. My credentials are:

Major: Biomedical Engineering
BCPM GPA: 3.18
Cumulative GPA: 3.51
MCAT: 33R (PS:14 VR:9 BS:10)
State of Residence: IL

I have also done research work and am on a track to get published but I don't think that will happen by the time interviews come around. I was also the vice president of a business fraternity in college (yes, i went through a business phase) and I think it atleast shows some leadership qualities. Also, I was wondering if the spread in my mcat scores will hurt me going forward. Thank you in advance for the advice/help

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
how strong are your clinical experiences-shadowing and volunteering?

Jul 29, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't have any job shadowing experiences because I have been working to build up my finanaces for med school. I did volunteer at a hospital while I was in high school, though, for about a year or so

About the Ads

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
you have NO clinical experiences in the last 3-4 years? you really need to work on this.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
Have you checked to see i the schools you applied to have a bottom tenth percentile for BCPM GPA lower than yours? I'd say you'll look good for research and leadership, and your MCAT score is fine, but without recent community service/clinical experience and shadowing, which are all unwritten requirements, I don't think your chances will be very good. I'd work hard over this next year to strengthen the weak parts of yuour application, including taking more upper-level science to raise your BCPM GPA.

Jul 29, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Unfortunately, I already graduated and with a biomedical engineering major, I didn't have too many free electives to take science classes with. As bad as my BCPM GPA is, I think I am stuck with it. Assuming that in the next year I do some job shadowing and/or volunteering because that is still something I have control over, I want to know how legitimate my chances are. I am obviously not looking to get into Harvard medical school nor would I even want to go there but I just want some realistic schools to aim for.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads