How good at my Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hitop810

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new in this forum and am currently in the midst of the 2010 application cycle. I was just wondering what my chances are of getting into an MD program and which schools I should try looking into. I have used the school selector that someone made on this site but I was just wondering if anyone had some more inside information about certain schools that might be advantageous to me. My credentials are:

Major: Biomedical Engineering
BCPM GPA: 3.18
Cumulative GPA: 3.51
MCAT: 33R (PS:14 VR:9 BS:10)
State of Residence: IL

I have also done research work and am on a track to get published but I don't think that will happen by the time interviews come around. I was also the vice president of a business fraternity in college (yes, i went through a business phase) and I think it atleast shows some leadership qualities. Also, I was wondering if the spread in my mcat scores will hurt me going forward. Thank you in advance for the advice/help

Members don't see this ad.

how strong are your clinical experiences-shadowing and volunteering?

I don't have any job shadowing experiences because I have been working to build up my finanaces for med school. I did volunteer at a hospital while I was in high school, though, for about a year or so

Members don't see this ad :)
you have NO clinical experiences in the last 3-4 years? you really need to work on this.

Have you checked to see i the schools you applied to have a bottom tenth percentile for BCPM GPA lower than yours? I'd say you'll look good for research and leadership, and your MCAT score is fine, but without recent community service/clinical experience and shadowing, which are all unwritten requirements, I don't think your chances will be very good. I'd work hard over this next year to strengthen the weak parts of yuour application, including taking more upper-level science to raise your BCPM GPA.

Unfortunately, I already graduated and with a biomedical engineering major, I didn't have too many free electives to take science classes with. As bad as my BCPM GPA is, I think I am stuck with it. Assuming that in the next year I do some job shadowing and/or volunteering because that is still something I have control over, I want to know how legitimate my chances are. I am obviously not looking to get into Harvard medical school nor would I even want to go there but I just want some realistic schools to aim for.