How hard is Columbia Post Bacc to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilyp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be getting a BA in media production this year... but I really do think the medical field is where I need to be. I am doing some research on what I can do, and looked into Columbia University's post bacc. How hard is the program to get into?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Not very, supposedly if you have above a 3.0, they'll accept you. I wasn't even interviewed when I applied and was accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easy to get in but the campus is littered with the husks of former students who fell by the wayside before completing the program.

Those who make it out the other end are generally strong. The "committee" LOR is always a pleasure to read, very informative and personal.

I was accepted into Columbia this year with a 3.4 and a battery of experience in the medical field (i.e. research, volunteering, ad nauseum).

Ultimately, I chose to go to Harvard. The price difference between the two, alone, is enough to make one re-think the Columbia route. I've heard a solid amount of Columbia horror stories, but I suppose that kind of banter can be dug up in regards to any institution. Also, Harvard seemed to fit my style of academia.

If you have any questions about why I chose one over the other, feel free to PM and I'll give you a solid run-down.

Good luck!

P.S.

I am also a Film, Television, and Media Production Major :thumbup:

Yeah it's easy to get into but maybe apply broadly and consider all of your options. I got into 3 formal post-bac programs and ultimately decided a DIY was the best choice for me financially, and I am quite happy with it.

Easy to get in but the campus is littered with the husks of former students who fell by the wayside before completing the program.

:thumbup: LizzyM speaks the truth on this matter. But to your question, do you have a pulse? If so you should have no problem gaining admission. I would caution though that it's a tough program to get thru w/ GPA and spirit intact at the end. (That and they send committee letters late-ish, IMO). Also you need to reconcile yourself with the financial cost as others have mentioned. It ain't cheap!!! That being said, it's strong academically.

Those who make it out the other end are generally strong. The "committee" LOR is always a pleasure to read, very informative and personal.

Hope you're right! ;)

Some courses (I'm thinking specifically Biology) get graded separately from the undergrads. This is good for you, since the undergrad premeds are generally pretty cutthroat people. However, both Bio and Orgo are taught at a level of difficulty that's really hard to believe until you're sitting there. (I speak from experience - this was my alma mater.) Every bio exam would perfectly substitute as an MCAT BS section, minus all that helpful passage info. Orgo, depending on the professor, is taught in such a way as to encourage failure. First orgo exam at Columbia: scored a 19. First orgo exam at Rutgers (where I retook it): scored a 98. You have been warned.

That said, I think postbacc students who get through the program have something like a 96% admit rate, which is pretty wild.

I still haven't heard from the Admissions Committee in regards to my Spring 2012 application. Is this normal?

Is anyone else waiting to hear from the Post Bacc Pre Med program at Columbia?
Has anyone else had this type of long waiting experience with admissions?

Easy to get in, hard to get out. I don't know why you would do it. If you can't get into Goucher or Bryn Mawr, go to Harvard. If you're that hard-up for a linkage, you can try, but it won't be easy.