How hard is it to get published?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmc12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to get a research manuscript published in a peer reviewed journal? Will it be a big boost for specialty applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Get an attending/faculty member on board with you and I don't think it's terribly difficult, it's just a long process (they're usually swamped). Coming up with an initial idea is the toughest part tbh. Doing the stats side of it can also be difficult. Usually the attending/faculty member you are working with will get a statistician on the paper.

It never hurts in specialty applications.

You have to be willing to do the work.

You first have to do a complete literature review. Most people now think that an internet review is sufficient. But it isn't.

You have to look at the bibliographies of the classic papers and look up their references. I trained before the internet, and I spent the best years of my life in the medical library. If you are willing to do that, publishing isn't hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get an attending/faculty member on board with you and I don't think it's terribly difficult, it's just a long process (they're usually swamped). Coming up with an initial idea is the toughest part tbh. Doing the stats side of it can also be difficult. Usually the attending/faculty member you are working with will get a statistician on the paper.
would you say it’s a lot more difficult to get published in a ”top” dental journal? like the AJODO/Angle for ortho or Journal of Endodontics for endo (I’m not familiar with the top journals for OMFS)

would you say it’s a lot more difficult to get published in a ”top” dental journal? like the AJODO/Angle for ortho or Journal of Endodontics for endo (I’m not familiar with the top journals for OMFS)

I'm still enduring this long, painful process myself, but as long as your idea holds some academic value and the statistics are fine with no bias, then you should be ok.

I'm still enduring this long, painful process myself, but as long as your idea holds some academic value and the statistics are fine with no bias, then you should be ok.
So all oral surgery programs require a research project and thesis defense during residency?

So all oral surgery programs require a research project and thesis defense during residency?

Not sure. I'm a rising D3. Not mandatory to have research to match if that's what you're asking.

if your sole intention is to get into specialty residency then trying to get published is not worth it. the amount of work and time to get a project going, writing the manuscript, etc. could be much better spent doing other things like getting your grades up and improving clinical competencies assuming you're still in dental school

do research projects while as an ortho resident generally get published?

If the manuscript that I co-authored was submitted for publication review but is not actually published yet, how do I phrase it in my resume? Thank you!

In many medical specialties, it’s expected somewhat that the applicants have multiple publications. I think the average dermatologist applicant has over 10+ publications and many as first author. There are many med students who take an extra year just to do research. I guess the same isn’t true in dentistry even in the more competitive specialties

How difficult is it to get a research manuscript published in a peer reviewed journal? Will it be a big boost for specialty applications?
I think it all depends on the content of your manuscript. If your content adds to the profession of dentistry and is well written, I feel acceptance of a manuscript is likely. Personally, I’ve just had a manuscript accepted by the JOE. It took about a month once submitted to be notified of acceptance. No one fancy on the article. It was only myself ( GP), my assistant (DA), and a local oral surgeon. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user