How hard is it to make 200k

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Analyzethis

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there have been listed average salaries and the range of salaries being very large-But I just want to know how realistic or how hard would one have to work as a private outpatient psychiatrist in an upscale area-how hard would it be to make 200k? Tha tis about what i need to live the lifestyle I want and I wanted to know if that is a realistic expectation to have with still wanting to have a great lifestyle and maybe even only work 4 days a week-would it take years and years to build your private practice up to this? I live in arizona-and they are one of the shortest states for psychiatrists-so i guess this question is for someone in phoenix-a huge city and living in an upscale area. ok thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I know there have been listed average salaries and the range of salaries being very large-But I just want to know how realistic or how hard would one have to work as a private outpatient psychiatrist in an upscale area-how hard would it be to make 200k? Tha tis about what i need to live the lifestyle I want and I wanted to know if that is a realistic expectation to have with still wanting to have a great lifestyle and maybe even only work 4 days a week-would it take years and years to build your private practice up to this? I live in arizona-and they are one of the shortest states for psychiatrists-so i guess this question is for someone in phoenix-a huge city and living in an upscale area. ok thanks!

I'm going to be cracking the 200K barrier in my third year of practice, but a little more that 50% of my practice is inpatient & ECT, which builds productivity faster. I do average about 50 hours/week, so I may not be living your dream life.

I really wasn't expecting the income to build so fast, but we're not "lifestyle addicts". We've lived 20 + years as adults at a middle-middle class level, so we enjoy being in a somewhat nicer suburban area now, being able to buy good beer without guilt, move to the lower deck when we go out to a MLB game, etc., but our pleasures are still pretty simple. Don't rush the lifestyle stuff. Try to be happy with less for awhile longer.

I see this question alot on this forum and my own forum, but the answer is the same. Most psychs do not have union waged salary jobs, but are in private practice/on staff at hospitals etc... In which the salary depends on how marketable (good) they are and how many hours they are willing to work. In Ca, and especially in the Bay Area psychiatrists can demand 2-300$/hr easily and not have to worry about getting work. Hospital work is not as good, and that is why few psychiatrists do it outside of residency/fellowships.