How hard is it to schedule step 3 before starting residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start residency on 6/23, and I have one mandatory day on 6/16. This gives me a 3 week scheduling window. However, I understand that I cannot schedule Step 3 until after I have graduated (5/30). I have no idea how long it takes to schedule the exam and whether or not all my school stuff will be processed by then.

I absolutely don't mind studying for Step 3 in May, but I don't want to study and then find out that I won't be able to take the test in June.

So the question is: how feasible is it for me to schedule my Step 3 between 6/1 and 6/20?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I start residency on 6/23, and I have one mandatory day on 6/16. This gives me a 3 week scheduling window. However, I understand that I cannot schedule Step 3 until after I have graduated (5/30). I have no idea how long it takes to schedule the exam and whether or not all my school stuff will be processed by then.

I absolutely don't mind studying for Step 3 in May, but I don't want to study and then find out that I won't be able to take the test in June.

So the question is: how feasible is it for me to schedule my Step 3 between 6/1 and 6/20?
Seems not too feasible. You graduate 5/30. You can't just schedule your test the next day. You have to submit paperwork (some of which has to be notarized IIRC) to USMLE to receive a scheduling permit. That won't take too long, but say it takes a week at minimum then you are scheduling it on 6/7. What's the likelihood you have open dates in the next two weeks. Maybe if you lived in a large urban area there might be a bunch of choices to schedule, but that's leaving a lot to chance.

Most residencies allow you time to take it (less so to study for it, but you should be able to schedule a light elective month to study) and unless it's Peds you will be studying a lot of the topics throughout your intern year by taking care of patients.

• Hmm

Very feasible.

1.) It takes 1-2 weeks to get all the paper work done. The application requires $$$ and a notarization so get that done ASAP. The bottle neck will be the time it takes for a scheduling permit which can take up to 2 weeks. That means on 6/13ish you should be able to schedule. Dates are definitely available even as last minute as two weeks in advance. Search for availability. I recommend picking NBME Toledo. They always have dates open and if you're nowhere close, then Toledo will tell you at least what's available. Prometric - Welcome

2.) Check out the new USMLE Step 3 thread for prep advice. Good luck! USMLE - Official USMLE Step 3 Experiences Thread

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very feasible.

1.) It takes 1-2 weeks to get all the paper work done. The application requires $$$ and a notarization so get that done ASAP. The bottle neck will be the time it takes for a scheduling permit which can take up to 2 weeks. That means on 6/13ish you should be able to schedule. Dates are definitely available even as last minute as two weeks in advance. Search for availability. I recommend picking NBME Toledo. They always have dates open and if you're nowhere close, then Toledo will tell you at least what's available. Prometric - Welcome

2.) Check out the new USMLE Step 3 thread for prep advice. Good luck! USMLE - Official USMLE Step 3 Experiences Thread
You and I apparently have different definitions of 'very feasible' if you're looking to schedule with a 1 week window.

OP, Prometric has been wonky this year. My ITE has to be done at a Prometric, and I scheduled my date like 2 months in advance, and then they closed my testing center with 2 weeks notice. EVERYONE scheduled at that testing center had a very short window to reschedule at the one other center in town or the one 60 miles away. Guess where I ended up? There were no slots available for the original date of my test and I ended up taking it 2 weeks later.

Also, I'm pretty sure Step 3 is 2 days, which means you have a week to hope that you can get two testing slots.

Just wait until after you start.

You and I apparently have different definitions of 'very feasible' if you're looking to schedule with a 1 week window.

OP, Prometric has been wonky this year. My ITE has to be done at a Prometric, and I scheduled my date like 2 months in advance, and then they closed my testing center with 2 weeks notice. EVERYONE scheduled at that testing center had a very short window to reschedule at the one other center in town or the one 60 miles away. Guess where I ended up? There were no slots available for the original date of my test and I ended up taking it 2 weeks later.

Also, I'm pretty sure Step 3 is 2 days, which means you have a week to hope that you can get two testing slots.

Just wait until after you start.
I am sorry that happened to you but it does not apply to OP. I actually took USMLE Step 3 a month back, when I went to schedule there were dates available the next day had I wanted them. Even now, I double checked my go-to prometric site for OP's sake. There are dates available literally tomorrow as well as most days M-F for the foreseeable future if OP wanted to sign up. In past years for USMLE Step 1/2CK this site was still open. OP will be able to find a site.

OP if you want to take the test, start studying. You will find a center able to accomodate you.

I am sorry that happened to you but it does not apply to OP. I actually took USMLE Step 3 a month back, when I went to schedule there were dates available the next day had I wanted them. Even now, I double checked my go-to prometric site for OP's sake. There are dates available literally tomorrow as well as M-F for the foreseeable future if OP wanted to sign up.

OP if you want to take the test, start studying. You will find a center able to accomodate you.
How can you say it doesn't apply to the OP? This was two months ago, and of the original three testing sites in my city, two have closed down. I'm glad you have ready access to a center, but not everyone will (or be able to afford travel to one that does have openings) and a lot depends on what other tests are being administered in that time.

How can you say it doesn't apply to the OP? This was two months ago, and of the original three testing sites in my city, two have closed down. I'm glad you have ready access to a center, but not everyone will (or be able to afford travel to one that does have openings) and a lot depends on what other tests are being administered in that time.
If OP wants to take it, he/she can find a way. There are lots of sites open with social distancing protection. OP at worst may have to reserve 2 nights at a hotel (worse case scenario) if nothing local works. Lots of people here are casting doubt and talking about this being a tight window but it's really not. OP will be eligible in decent time. Conservatively he/she will get their permit by 6/13 (at which point they've already been studying for 1.5 months) and OP will need to find two days within a 10 day interval. I rescheduled my Step 1 and CK a bunch of times last minute. There are always centers and options open if you look.

If OP wants to take it, he/she can find a way. There are lots of sites open with social distancing protection. OP at worst may have to reserve 2 nights at a hotel (worse case scenario) if nothing local works. Lots of people here are casting doubt and talking about this being a tight window but it's really not. OP will be eligible in decent time. Conservatively he/she will get their permit by 6/13 (at which point they've already been studying for 1.5 months) and OP will need to find two days within a 10 day interval. I rescheduled my Step 1 and CK a bunch of times last minute. There are always centers and options open if you look.
Again, this is very region dependent. Some places in the country are open at full capacity. A fair number of places are still at limited capacity, and last-minute cancellations have resulted in some of my peers who are taking board certifying exams in other parts of the country either delay taking their exam until the next cycle, or driving out-of-state. This happened within the last week.

Which, if you define "doable" as including a fee for a hotel and driving out of state, then sure anything is "doable." But the OP definitely should see what the current availability is at the testing center(s) within the range that they are willing to travel. If there are only 1-2 within a reasonable distance (and thus could close at any time for a staff member testing positive for COVID, or because the company decides it doesn't make sense to stay open at limited capacity) then they really should think long and hard before they commit to spending the coming month or so studying for step 3.

What specialty did you match into? Depending on your specialty it may be better to wait, as much of what you’re doing/reading as an intern will take the place of any studying you’d otherwise have to do. I did a TY and just brushed up a bit on my peds/OB/surgery. I was pretty much studying neuro/IM the whole year with the rotations I set up. If I remember Step 3 had the computer simulations—I got the UWold setup that mimicked it and that along with the qbank helped immensely.

I think we skipped straight to the "how" without investigating the "why" of this question. You have 3 weeks of total freedom from the day of graduation until the first day of internship...USE EVERY LAST SECOND OF IT FOR YOURSELF AND NOT FOR MEDICINE.

IIRC, the OP was going for EM. Anyone in IM, FM, EM, Gen Surg or TY (and probably OB, maybe Peds) should be able to do just fine on this exam with a week or two of studying a couple hours a day after about 6 mos of intern year rotations. Some programs even give you time off AND money to pay for the exam. So why rush it?

You get exactly 0 gunner points for being the first person in your intern or med school class to pass Step 3. Take your time.

• Hmm
Reactions: 10 users
I think we skipped straight to the "how" without investigating the "why" of this question. You have 3 weeks of total freedom from the day of graduation until the first day of internship...USE EVERY LAST SECOND OF IT FOR YOURSELF AND NOT FOR MEDICINE.

IIRC, the OP was going for EM. Anyone in IM, FM, EM, Gen Surg or TY (and probably OB, maybe Peds) should be able to do just fine on this exam with a week or two of studying a couple hours a day after about 6 mos of intern year rotations. Some programs even give you time off AND money to pay for the exam. So why rush it?

You get exactly 0 gunner points for being the first person in your intern or med school class to pass Step 3. Take your time.
For the record I completely agree. I just feel like the folks asking this question have already decided on the silly course of action, so I kind of just nod politely.

For the record I completely agree. I just feel like the folks asking this question have already decided on the silly course of action, so I kind of just nod politely.
I still think that some can be saved.

Then again, my therapist calls me "Anne Frank", so my perspective may be skewed.

Is scheduling Step 3 difficult to do in intern year, especially if you would like to take it in a certain month? Do some programs make you use your vacation days to take USMLE Step 3?

Is scheduling Step 3 difficult to do in intern year, especially if you would like to take it in a certain month? Do some programs make you use your vacation days to take USMLE Step 3?
Depends on your specialty. If you're a GS intern, it's going to be harder than if you're in IM or FM. But it's still not that hard. Assuming your specialty has them, schedule it for an outpatient/elective rotation when you won't be missed.

I know there's a lot of love for taking it early here, but anybody in an IM/FM/EM/GS/OB/TY intern year will learn 90% of what you need to pass this test (and don't already know) on the job. I think taking it toward the end of intern year is the best strategy. But do whatever you want.

Depends on your specialty. If you're a GS intern, it's going to be harder than if you're in IM or FM. But it's still not that hard. Assuming your specialty has them, schedule it for an outpatient/elective rotation when you won't be missed.

I know there's a lot of love for taking it early here, but anybody in an IM/FM/EM/OB/TY intern year will learn 90% of what you need to pass this test (and don't already know) on the job. I think taking it toward the end of intern year is the best strategy. But do whatever you want.
For those who are in IM/FM/EM/GS/OB/TY intern year, is it sort of like studying for Step 1 or Step 2 where you can just do the UWorld and/or CCS cases that are related to the rotation that you are on (aka OB questions during OB, Peds during Peds, etc.)?