How hard would this schedule be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZeroHeroL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am debating about taking O-Chem 1, Physics w/Calc 1, and Bio 2 together in this coming fall semester. How challenging would this be based on your past experience. Right now I have it as O-Chm, Bio 2 and another math class (I finished the calculus series last spring). I would appreciate your input :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think most people would say it's a stacked schedule but it's largely more up to the individual than what we say. Personally, that'd be light-medium schedule for me, but I'm saying this all retrospectively so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
You're the only one who can comment on how challenging the schedule is for you. I'll be taking OChem1 and Bio 2 in the fall along with graduate courses in biostats, epi, disease surveillance and an SAS class. I'm confident that I can handle the schedule. If you registered for those classes you're probably pretty confident you can handle your schedule too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how much other stuff is eating up your time. Very manageable imo unless you're also working part time, doing research, tons of volunteering, and playing a sport or something...then it could get tough

Not too hard. Normal. I don't see why people always worry about taking 3 science courses per semester when you are planning on going to med school. Clearly you know you are competent if that's your end goal, and 3 sciences courses shouldn't be an issue right?
If you like science, you'll be fine. My point is why do you think you''ll do better in something else? Those are all objective courses were high grades are acheivable

Seems like your average Sophomore/Junior schedule. Recommend not working more than 20+ hours a week with that schedule. Otherwise, very doable.

I'd say go for it as long as you are confident you will be able to handle it. Doesn't seem like too horrific of a schedule actually. Pretty common to take 3 science classes in at least a few undergrad semesters. Good luck!

I do not plan to work. Research at least 10 hrs/week, volunteer 6hr/week, clubs 5hr/week. I currently have a 3.9> GPA and would like to maintain it..

GPA > 3.9? :L if that's all you've got going for you (not to sound snide, that's a good chunk of ECs), then you'll do just fine. Go for it.

6 months from now, "Did I screw up my chances for med school????"

Reactions: 1 users
I took similar, except i had chem 2, and didnt have orgo. Just know notoriously orgo is difficult mold to break into. I did get 4.0 for that semester but it was really tough for me personally, and close not to getting that.

Part of the struggle was physics which ate up a lot of time. I think the deal breaker is how good you are with math. If math is a strong subject, and you can get good grades in physics without too much struggle, you will be fine as it will allow you more time to focus on orgo. Which makes me think this is your case since its calc-based.

Both orgo and bio will be memory heavy, so prepare for that. It will be a good semester if you rotate all three subjects on a daily basis, with less weight on physics and more on orgo. Bio somewhere in between. Something like 2 hours physics, 2-3 hours bio, 3-4 hours orgo.

Sounds doable if your effort is there all the way consistently.

I do not plan to work. Research at least 10 hrs/week, volunteer 6hr/week, clubs 5hr/week. I currently have a 3.9> GPA and would like to maintain it..

Then you should be fine. Good luck.