How helpful are the Kaplan Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am taking my DAT in march, is that too late?? And also, how helpful are the KAPLAN classes. What is the best type of books, and classes to take in order to get ready for DATs

Members don't see this ad.

If your taking the DAT in march for this application cycle then kiss your chances goodbye! If your taking it for next application cycle then your actually ahead of the game. Anytime before June would be just fine. As for Kaplan, in my opinion the materials they give you and also the online component of the class are excellent. The class time for Kaplan is kinda a waist. It's just tought by a student that did well on the DAT and its such a quick overview thats its pretty useless.

Dutchboy said:
If your taking the DAT in march for this application cycle then kiss your chances goodbye! If your taking it for next application cycle then your actually ahead of the game. Anytime before June would be just fine. As for Kaplan, in my opinion the materials they give you and also the online component of the class are excellent. The class time for Kaplan is kinda a waist. It's just tought by a student that did well on the DAT and its such a quick overview thats its pretty useless.
Is there any other classes besides Kaplan that are better!! cuz you know Kaplan is about 1200 bucks and i wana make sure i take the classes that are good!!

Dutchboy said:
I second that. The only thing of use from Kaplan is their books and the online test questions. If you can get these things with out having to fork out the $1000 go for it. I personally don’t think the class is worth taking for the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
The quality of the classes will definitely depend on your teacher. Even with an average teacher, though, they can be helpful for having a general schedule and kicking you in the rear so that you study rather than procrastinate. It also helps to know other people who are going through the same thing at the same time as you.

The value of their practice test bank can't be overstated, in my opinion - at the bare minimum you should get all of their practice tests and subject tests with explanations. This is well worth the $1,000 they charge for the online course, especially if it gets you into dental school.

If you're planning on entering dental school in 2006, March is way too late. Maybe consider taking it early next summer when you aren't in classes, so you can devote more time to it.

I took kaplan and had a really good instructor. So its definitely worth it. I got a 50% discount for the class, thats why it was worth it for me although i would have still payed the 1200! 24's across the board with one 28! Good luck :idea:

jrsdsu said:
I took kaplan and had a really good instructor. So its definitely worth it. I got a 50% discount for the class, thats why it was worth it for me although i would have still payed the 1200! 24's across the board with one 28! Good luck :idea:

question please~ how did you get the 50% discount? i also am thinking about taking the kaplan courses...

btw, congrat. on getting great scores!!!!!!!

Lonely Sol said:
Hi I am taking my DAT in march, is that too late?? And also, how helpful are the KAPLAN classes. What is the best type of books, and classes to take in order to get ready for DATs
Get the kaplan books. The classes are absolutely useless. I never stepped foot into a kaplan class and I did ok. Plus I saved a bunch of money ^_^ I think you should also get DAT achiever and topscore. YOu will thank me later.

Take care,
Rich

If you are deciding between Kaplan classroom vs online course, take the online course (ok ok, you only save like $100). The resources and amount of practice problems Kaplan provides are really helpful for preparing for the DAT. Good luck.

Missserica said:
If you are deciding between Kaplan classroom vs online course, take the online course (ok ok, you only save like $100). The resources and amount of practice problems Kaplan provides are really helpful for preparing for the DAT. Good luck.

I agree with Missserica. It's the materials from Kaplan course that counts. The classroom course itself is of very little help. The big blue book is a gem for DAT.
And obviously, the practice tests help out quite a lot.