Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
684
2
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi I am taking my DAT in march, is that too late?? And also, how helpful are the KAPLAN classes. What is the best type of books, and classes to take in order to get ready for DATs
 

Dutchboy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
534
2
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If your taking the DAT in march for this application cycle then kiss your chances goodbye! If your taking it for next application cycle then your actually ahead of the game. Anytime before June would be just fine. As for Kaplan, in my opinion the materials they give you and also the online component of the class are excellent. The class time for Kaplan is kinda a waist. It's just tought by a student that did well on the DAT and its such a quick overview thats its pretty useless.
 

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
684
2
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Dental
Dutchboy said:
If your taking the DAT in march for this application cycle then kiss your chances goodbye! If your taking it for next application cycle then your actually ahead of the game. Anytime before June would be just fine. As for Kaplan, in my opinion the materials they give you and also the online component of the class are excellent. The class time for Kaplan is kinda a waist. It's just tought by a student that did well on the DAT and its such a quick overview thats its pretty useless.
Is there any other classes besides Kaplan that are better!! cuz you know Kaplan is about 1200 bucks and i wana make sure i take the classes that are good!!
 
About the Ads

cowsgomoo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
684
0
Alpharetta, GA
Status
Dutchboy said:
If your taking the DAT in march for this application cycle then kiss your chances goodbye! If your taking it for next application cycle then your actually ahead of the game. Anytime before June would be just fine. As for Kaplan, in my opinion the materials they give you and also the online component of the class are excellent. The class time for Kaplan is kinda a waist. It's just tought by a student that did well on the DAT and its such a quick overview thats its pretty useless.
I second that. The only thing of use from Kaplan is their books and the online test questions. If you can get these things with out having to fork out the $1000 go for it. I personally don’t think the class is worth taking for the price.
 

Typo

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
678
11
Status
The quality of the classes will definitely depend on your teacher. Even with an average teacher, though, they can be helpful for having a general schedule and kicking you in the rear so that you study rather than procrastinate. It also helps to know other people who are going through the same thing at the same time as you.

The value of their practice test bank can't be overstated, in my opinion - at the bare minimum you should get all of their practice tests and subject tests with explanations. This is well worth the $1,000 they charge for the online course, especially if it gets you into dental school.

If you're planning on entering dental school in 2006, March is way too late. Maybe consider taking it early next summer when you aren't in classes, so you can devote more time to it.
 
J

jrsdsu

I took kaplan and had a really good instructor. So its definitely worth it. I got a 50% discount for the class, thats why it was worth it for me although i would have still payed the 1200! 24's across the board with one 28! Good luck :idea:
 

super marz

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2003
37
0
UW, washington
Visit site
Status
jrsdsu said:
I took kaplan and had a really good instructor. So its definitely worth it. I got a 50% discount for the class, thats why it was worth it for me although i would have still payed the 1200! 24's across the board with one 28! Good luck :idea:

question please~ how did you get the 50% discount? i also am thinking about taking the kaplan courses...

btw, congrat. on getting great scores!!!!!!!
 

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
11,364
89
Texas
Status
Dentist
see if your school's health professions organization has an arrangement with kaplan. i know kaplan gives our students discounts if we are a member of that group.
 

Richnator

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
455
0
Visit site
Status
Lonely Sol said:
Hi I am taking my DAT in march, is that too late?? And also, how helpful are the KAPLAN classes. What is the best type of books, and classes to take in order to get ready for DATs
Get the kaplan books. The classes are absolutely useless. I never stepped foot into a kaplan class and I did ok. Plus I saved a bunch of money ^_^ I think you should also get DAT achiever and topscore. YOu will thank me later.

Take care,
Rich
 

Missserica

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
179
0
36
MA
Visit site
Status
Pre-Dental
If you are deciding between Kaplan classroom vs online course, take the online course (ok ok, you only save like $100). The resources and amount of practice problems Kaplan provides are really helpful for preparing for the DAT. Good luck.
 

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
598
1
Status
Missserica said:
If you are deciding between Kaplan classroom vs online course, take the online course (ok ok, you only save like $100). The resources and amount of practice problems Kaplan provides are really helpful for preparing for the DAT. Good luck.
I agree with Missserica. It's the materials from Kaplan course that counts. The classroom course itself is of very little help. The big blue book is a gem for DAT.
And obviously, the practice tests help out quite a lot.
 
About the Ads