How helpful are the Pearson practice tests? Waste of money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kadee

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When looking at other threads and posts, I see a lot of people saying that the Pearson practice tests are good practice for understanding how the actual PCAT is set up on test day.

I've already taken the PCAT, so would anyone feel it is necessary to buy these practice tests this go around?

I am using the Kaplan book for studying along with some notes from my courses in undergrad. I have 2 Kaplan practice tests. Should I buy a Pearson practice to up my score? Did it seem extremely helpful to anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

in my opinion, kaplan is harder than real one. so the expected score of real pcat will be higher than it.
Pearson is really good practice exam cuz you can learn how to distribute your time and the difficulty is pretty same as the real one.
Also, the expected score range is really similar to the real pcat score.

I recommend you take it at least one exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I highly recommend taking all three Pearson practice tests, while timing yourself and including the 15 minute break. Also, taking it in a similar test taking environment if you can, somewhere quiet. Study both the answers you got correct and wrong. I found that more than anything, solidifying my timing was key. I took all three Pearson tests within the two weeks before my exam.

I highly recommend taking all three Pearson practice tests, while timing yourself and including the 15 minute break. Also, taking it in a similar test taking environment if you can, somewhere quiet. Study both the answers you got correct and wrong. I found that more than anything, solidifying my timing was key. I took all three Pearson tests within the two weeks before my exam.
Do mind sharing that outcome of your PCAT? I'd like to see if the practice tests really do improve your score besides helping with familiarity and comfortability?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question here about the Pearson practice tests. So is 3 the maximum amount of tests they have? I know you can only purchase 3 at a time, but let's say I buy 3 tests now for the January PCAT, and then later on I decide to take the PCAT again in July and buy another set of 3, would they be the same practice test questions or different? Thanks.

Ok! But I was actually asking if it's true that when you buy 3 exams again they'll be different sets (so like a total of 6 different tests).

The kaplan exams were harder to me than the Pearson practice test. If the real PCAT is like the pearson practice test, then I'm in good shape!!

In what ways is the Pearson practice test similar to the real PCAT? Is it the style of questions, difficulty? Is the interphase of the exam software the same? Now that my PCAT is next week and I've run out of practice material, I'm stressing out? I hope I didn't get too comfortable with the official practice exams..

In what ways is the Pearson practice test similar to the real PCAT? Is it the style of questions, difficulty? Is the interphase of the exam software the same? Now that my PCAT is next week and I've run out of practice material, I'm stressing out? I hope I didn't get too comfortable with the official practice exams..

The style and difficulty are mostly same. Also, the expected score range is really similar to your real pcat score. just take the practice like real one.

but the software would be different but it doesnt bother you at all.

Good Luck.

I am going to go ahead and purchase one Pearson practice exam since I still have an extra Kaplan practice exam.
Does anyone have an idea on which I should buy? I heard 7 was the hardest. Should I buy this one? Or any other?

no way the pearson practice tests scoring are the same. I didn't even try on the math ( only answerd 24 questions and left the rest blank) and got 70-90%

I am going to go ahead and purchase one Pearson practice exam since I still have an extra Kaplan practice exam.
Does anyone have an idea on which I should buy? I heard 7 was the hardest. Should I buy this one? Or any other?
I heard 7 is the hardest as well but I'm not sure. I just bought all 3 (tests 5, 6, 7) but haven't finished them all yet so I can't say for sure.

I heard 7 is the hardest as well but I'm not sure. I just bought all 3 (tests 5, 6, 7) but haven't finished them all yet so I can't say for sure.
Have you taken your Pcat test? I bought practice 5,6,7 too. If you did take the test, can you pls tell me how similar/different from the practice and actual test? thanks a lot

When looking at other threads and posts, I see a lot of people saying that the Pearson practice tests are good practice for understanding how the actual PCAT is set up on test day.

I've already taken the PCAT, so would anyone feel it is necessary to buy these practice tests this go around?

I am using the Kaplan book for studying along with some notes from my courses in undergrad. I have 2 Kaplan practice tests. Should I buy a Pearson practice to up my score? Did it seem extremely helpful to anyone?
ABSOLUTELY MUST TAKE. PURCHASE ALL THREE SUBTEST PRACTICE EXAMS.

You can skip the Pearson writing practice and study guide IMO, although many suggest using the study guide as a toned down expectation of the question structure types on the real exam

Very helpful. Do all 3, or at least 2. I did 2.
I should of do all 3.. But I had 3 days left for pcat.
Don't bother and waste your time with Kaplan. It's too detailed and won't prepare you. Maybe 1 question will help.
Test is similar to Pearson, I would say littler harder.
And easier than Kaplan.
I didn't practice writing

Last edited: