How I Got a Perfect Score (132) on the CARS Section of the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curvesetter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The CARS section of the MCAT for many is the most daunting one of all, despite being the only section on the exam that does not require any formal knowledge or content. This may be due to a test taker’s bad experience with the critical reading/verbal section of the SAT/ACT in the past, not being a native English speaker, or being a Canadian medical school applicant where the CARS section is more heavily weighted than the rest. Nevertheless, solid performance on CARS will demonstrate that you are academically well-rounded and have the ability to engage in rhetorical reasoning.

It is important to enter the CARS section with a tabula rasa (blank slate) to avoid allowing your internal biases and preconceptions influence your ability to choose the correct answer. If you ever find yourself choosing an answer choice in part because you personally agree with it, rather than having hard evidence from the passage to back it up, you are probably making a mistake. Instead, you should make it your job to determine what the author’s agenda is. Just like you do when you watch a newscast or read an article online, ask yourself, “What is the author trying to achieve by writing this.” This will help you determine what the main idea of the passage is – a central piece to performing well on the CARS section.

Try to engage in an argument with the author and the passage. Play the devil’s advocate. Look for logical flaws in the author’s argument and see if he/she supports all of the claims that are made with evidence or examples. This will keep you focused and engaged throughout the entire section – an issue some people tend to have especially when it comes to passages on philosophy and art.

After reading each paragraph, ask yourself why the author included it. What was the purpose of that sentence or phrase? Does it improve his/her argument? Try to quickly summarize each paragraph in your head as you move on. This will allow you to keep track of the overall argument and determine whether the author is maintaining the same viewpoint or is evolving it into a newer, more nuanced one. Realize that the authors of the passages will rarely (if ever) have an extreme viewpoint that resides on one part of a spectrum – this would leave them open to easy attacks. Rather, most passages take a middle-of-the-road approach, where the author will take some moderate stance, acknowledge the opposing arguments, and attempt to refute them.

As a cardinal rule, never choose an answer choice that contradicts the main idea in any way (unless of course the question expressly asks you to do so). Furthermore, if you are ever stuck between two answer choices (which happens fairly often) pick the one you think the author (not you!) would agree with the most. If you are having trouble formulating the complete main idea, look at what is going on towards the end of the passage. Usually, the author’s true agenda comes out then.

Above all, remain cool and confident. Try to have fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Could you tell us what CARS practice source did you use? Any ones you recommend and are most representative of the MCAT passages besides AAMC ones?

Reactions: 1 user
What's your opinion on the new EK CARS book? Would you prioritize doing passages from the old EK Verbal or the new EK CARS?

As for actual test-taking, did you make it a habit to surely eliminate most/all incorrect answer choices, or did you rely on the correct answer "jumping out" at you once you read the answer choices?

Could you tell us what CARS practice source did you use? Any ones you recommend and are most representative of the MCAT passages besides AAMC ones?

I honestly wouldn't recommend deviating much from the AAMC material. No other prep company seems to be getting it right. If you absolutely have to, TPR and EK are a bit better but again, use your AAMC material wisely.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's your opinion on the new EK CARS book? Would you prioritize doing passages from the old EK Verbal or the new EK CARS?

As for actual test-taking, did you make it a habit to surely eliminate most/all incorrect answer choices, or did you rely on the correct answer "jumping out" at you once you read the answer choices?

I haven't seen the new EK book, so I can't comment on that.

As for test-taking, great question! I always start with POE. With CARS, its not really about choosing the correct answer, but the one that is the least incorrect (i.e. you can't rule it out definitively). The correct answer rarely jumps out at me.

I honestly wouldn't recommend deviating much from the AAMC material. No other prep company seems to be getting it right. If you absolutely have to, TPR and EK are a bit better but again, use your AAMC material wisely.
Thank you. Could you elaborate on using AAMC material wisely?

When is the best time to start using AAMC material for CARS? I've been using NS 108 and TPR cars workbook but I'm afraid I'm going to run out of practice. My MCAT date is tentatively August 19th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile