How I look matter? (Interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevenka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have emo- hair (with blonde/white highlights) would that be a big turnoff in first impression? If so, I probably will just cut off most of my hair in my 3rd year... :) (would be sad to not look as nice, but if I have to, I will :rolleyes:)
Thanks,
Kevin

*For a guy or girl; The highlights and long hair*

Members don't see this ad.

-.- I do...but not quite like a fade or a buzz. It's more like most asians/(now whites) thicker hair :oops:
But thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably do that in 1-2 years:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
second a buzz/fade

dont go looking like zelda man

Guys generally look good with a buzz/fade. I think the ladies would agree. But, I'm not the guy out there judging and fawning over guys cuts.

I used to sport a buzz before, I don't look good with it at all. Now I let my hair grow.

If I have emo- hair (with blonde/white highlights) would that be a big turnoff in first impression? If so, I probably will just cut off most of my hair in my 3rd year... :) (would be sad to not look as nice, but if I have to, I will :rolleyes:)
Thanks,
Kevin

Yes. I don't know about people on the committees, but I would find it hard to take you seriously.

Just cut your hair to a reasonable lenght and color it brown/black if you have too many different colors in it, and comb it to the side.

Thanks,
Kevin

It depends on who is interviewing you. What if you are interviewed by an open-minded physician and another emo med student?

It depends on who is interviewing you. What if you are interviewed by an open-minded physician and another emo med student?

I wouldn't bank on that.

Length is less important than grooming, meaning make sure it looks well-kept and neat. Unconventional colors just aren't a good idea for either sex.

You are best off if your hairstyle would appeal to the most conservative, older interviewer you can imagine. If you don't look "professional" they might ding you on their ratings.

I wouldn't bank on that.

Length is less important than grooming, meaning make sure it looks well-kept and neat. Unconventional colors just aren't a good idea for either sex.

I was gonna write a P.S. saying that maybe he shouldn't bank on those odds...

Last edited:
I was gonna write a P.S. saying that maybe he shouldn't bank on those odds...

Haha same. I've definitely had numerous, elderly, seemingly conservative interviewers and 0 "emo" med student interviewers.

Haha same. I've definitely had numerous, elderly, seemingly conservative interviewers and 0 "emo" med student interviewers.

Haha, it's scary who is on the interviewing committees. I have an acquaintance who says he ranks interviewees based on looks (i.e. females). He's also the biggest idiot I know though.

Yeah how you look matters, and how you talk matter too. So, better work on both of those. :rolleyes:

The interviewer in his or her mind will always have to answer the ultimate question: Would I ever entrust myself over to him or her for my well-being?

The answer may well be influenced by what you say, what you do, and most likely your appearance. First impressions are the ones that will last on the interviewer's mind. Therefore, you do not want to give the interviewer any reason whatsoever to doubt you on that "superficial premise."

Yeah how you look matters, and how you talk matter too. So, better work on both of those. :rolleyes:

The interviewer in his or her mind will always have to answer the ultimate question: Would I ever entrust myself over to him or her for my well-being?

The answer may well be influenced by what you say, what you do, and most likely your appearance. First impressions are the ones that will last on the interviewer's mind. Therefore, you do not want to give the interviewer any reason whatsoever to doubt you on that "superficial premise."

I wouldn't bank on that.

I agree with this. It is much more important how you groom your hair. I think a moderately long hair that is well groomed is better than the buzz cuts that just makes you part of the flock. Just ask yourself if you look professional. Now highlights for guys... you may be taking it too far (maybe unless you're interviewing at UCSF).

You need a somewhat conservative haircut. You don't sound like you have one. Go with a buzzcut or a fade.

please...I went in looking like Dennis Rodman - Bull ring in my nose, tatted hands, 3 earings in each ear, a pink boa, Gissepe pumps, a tight zebra suit and big Texas blond wig.

For some reason I was always told I look "FABULOUS" :p;)