How Immature is/was Your Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDoReMe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a thread about bullies over on the pre-med forum and was thinking I could kind of bring it over here...

Anyone in or remember pharmacy school and how your peers were? I feel like my class in general is pretty immature and we've definitely got a few students that ridiculous. Any bullies? Overpowering people? Any ridiculous/funny stores you'd want to share?

Members don't see this ad.

My class is fairly mature. Though, we do have a couple of passive aggressive people who think they are better human beings than everyone in the room.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking back on it, we were more mature than our faculty. I still get a kick about reminding the PharmD faculty what children they used to be (why my alma mater has both a speech and dress code now). We were so busy raising families (LDS) or working (everyone else), we didn't have time to have drama. There was tension between the LDS and non-LDS parts of the class, but we kept to ourselves, so it never blew up. Having real problems (I'm poor) helped cut down on much of the usual BS.

Stories:
We had our biochemistry/immunology professor run off the stage in tears (twice) after someone pointed out the reason she was at a dead-end place (here) was because she couldn't do the research.

Our pharmacokinetics professor couldn't do basic math (I'm not kidding, she still can't today). Until she settled into the blonde ditz persona that characterizes her now, I remember her having to stick to a mantra "I can do this, I can totally do this" and then watch as she made another glaring mistake.

Classmates who had to work with the ASHP faculty representative at the time had to routinely file hostile work environment due to her being a complete...to everyone. She's still not permitted in Banner to this day.

There's one student story that's tellable. Our class resident redneck got wasted at the party on the last day of classes with his brothers and beat up the only black guy (who's a chill, relaxed dude) in my class for no reason except to be a dick. In this era, he'd be expelled, no questions asked. Back then, he just lost his vacation rotations. It's fairly amazing how the frats turn their members into provisional alcoholics, same old story.

Reactions: 1 users
We had many people who wanted to live Greek Life in Pharmacy School. I have no problem with frats, but some people should not have done them. We had more than a handful of students fail a course or two due to living up the frat/party life a bit too hard. Also got to laugh about the class under us having a STD breakout. Of course we also have many of the under 21 people who were definitely not ready for the real world.

Hard to say. I think the worst thing I ever saw was some drinking and driving, which blew my mind. Overall I would say pretty mature with a few outliers. I recall one guy getting really offended when someone asked him some variation on "where is your family from" and complaining to some dept in the college that handles those complaints.

Not very; was an older-aged class overall many with families/other part time jobs. There was little time to socialize & most stuck to their own business or stayed in a small 3-5 person click. Only 1 instance of a classmate (argued to be drunk) getting confrontational with a professor about liability issues from the actions of pharmacy technicians. Pockets of cheating rings too, but that seems to happen everywhere

Not my class but a notorious Vietnam veteran rich class was supposedly banned (the entire school actually) from a group of drug manufacturer plants for streaking while on a trip to said manufacturers. This "Class of XXXX" is to this day, still mysteriously omitted from the photo section of previous graduating classes

Reactions: 1 user
In my class everybody whines about everything, it's crazy. Professors get the impression that my class is very lazy because of all of the whining/complaining. People get pretty combative and flat out hostile arguing over test questions with professors, always complaining about tests/assignments, making excuses for low grades, etc.

Some are lazy, some work hard but are just stupid, and a few of them are both. One of the non-native English speakers failed their rotation and said that the preceptor was racist despite her showing up hours late and doing nothing while there. Girl in a different class slept with her preceptor. One guy used an Apple watch to cheat on test, also a different class.

Last edited:
In my class everybody whines about everything, it's crazy. Professors get the impression that my class is very lazy because of all of the whining/complaining. People get pretty combative and flat out hostile arguing over test questions with professors, always complaining about tests/assignments, making excuses for low grades, etc.

Some are lazy, some work hard but are just stupid, and a few of them are both. One of the non-native English speakers failed their rotation and said that the preceptor was racist despite her showing up hours late and doing nothing while there. Girl in a different class slept with her preceptor. One guy used an Apple watch to cheat on test, also a different class.

Pretty sure every class has the whiners, typically are either the 4.0 students or people who failed the test. Also, cheating is always a problem, as some just think they can cheat there way through, but I say whatever for those people. They will likely get burnt on rotations or on boards. Also, always remember that the faculty gets last say in your rotations and I definitely noticed certain students getting multiple faculty preceptors on rotation. Of course the smart ones just request to do rotations in another area then where the preceptors are.

Classmates who had to work with the ASHP faculty representative at the time had to routinely file hostile work environment due to her being a complete...to everyone. She's still not permitted in Banner to this day.

The year before I graduated, there was a student who was pregnant (NOT planned, believe me, but they did want it) and due during a rotation with a FEMALE (!) professor who told her that she would flunk her if she took more than 3 days off when she had the baby. :eek: The classmate said, "What if I have a c-section? I'll still be in the hospital" and the prof replied, "Maybe you shouldn't have gotten pregnant." :mad: This woman went to the dean, a man, who told said female professor that as long as Pregnant Classmate turned in all her assignments, she would have to pass her. As things turned out, she did take 3 days off, and passed her rotation and graduated on time.

A couple years after we graduated, this professor was denied tenure, and we all think this was a major reason why, in addition to the fact that she really wasn't that good of a teacher.

I saw a thread about bullies over on the pre-med forum and was thinking I could kind of bring it over here...

Anyone in or remember pharmacy school and how your peers were? I feel like my class in general is pretty immature and we've definitely got a few students that ridiculous. Any bullies? Overpowering people? Any ridiculous/funny stores you'd want to share?

Make one head roll and most will leave you alone. It's high school. Do your thing. Unless of course, you need friends and fuzzy, and professors capturing your interest by telling jokes. In and out. Get your degree. Watch your lectures online and get out. Honestly. You won't remember the names of 98% of those people.

Just a few months ago, a visiting pharmacist told me "hey, so and so told me you were classmates?" Dude, no clue.

I can't even remember the names of people I used to text a lot with. Zero. Gone.

Shut down your facebook account. You'll be glad you did. If professors or your class has a group, then create an account without anything personal just for that purpose. But deactivate your facebook.

Last edited:
The year before I graduated, there was a student who was pregnant (NOT planned, believe me, but they did want it) and due during a rotation with a FEMALE (!) professor who told her that she would flunk her if she took more than 3 days off when she had the baby. :eek: The classmate said, "What if I have a c-section? I'll still be in the hospital" and the prof replied, "Maybe you shouldn't have gotten pregnant." :mad: This woman went to the dean, a man, who told said female professor that as long as Pregnant Classmate turned in all her assignments, she would have to pass her. As things turned out, she did take 3 days off, and passed her rotation and graduated on time.

A couple years after we graduated, this professor was denied tenure, and we all think this was a major reason why, in addition to the fact that she really wasn't that good of a teacher.

I am a guy and I would have sued her @ss for discrimination on several protected classes. Seriously??? Some people... If that student needs a week, or a month, you allow her to come back after whatever agreed time and she finishes her rotation.

Professors get the impression that my class is very lazy because of all of the whining/complaining. People get pretty combative and flat out hostile arguing over test questions with professors, always complaining about tests/assignments, making excuses for low grades, etc.

Most profs don't think people arguing over points on exams or for the final course grades are lazy. Different adjectives are used (cutthroat, driven, competitive, etc.). It's no different than when I was in school, and it is an accepted part of the job of being a prof to deal with this.

When people complain on day 1 of a course when they get the syllabus and see they might have to put forth more effort than they want and/or might actually be challenged? Yup, that's lazy. Education continues to be the only business I am aware of when the consumer (the student) is usually satisfied with getting less product for their money.

Someone who isn't me threw a cocaine party with a few classmates. Some of the Rho Chi kids knew how to get down lol

Reactions: 1 users
Immature enough to talk bad stuffs about other students in their back and purposefully give bad reviews to fellow students for group works.
Many people I met could be described as saints. They were respectable, kind, professional and understanding. Few of them were just kids who believed he/she is simply more special and better than others.

The person that qualifies and tracks the "maturity" of their classmates is either A.) a middle aged woman with a bachelors in something totally unrelated that is reinventing herself, or B.) a huge gigantic nerd.

Wait until you hit the actual workforce.

Reactions: 4 users