How important are application updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyndia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my VMCAS this year, and I remember hearing/reading in the past that you should keep schools updated on any major updates or changes. But I did a quick forum search, and on one thread I found people saying that schools don't necessarily look at these updates, especially later on in application review, and that they might be better kept for discussion at interviews.

However, seeing as it's still pretty early on in the application process, is it worth it to send in any updates? Namely, I just got hired on as a research assistant at a vet college, as well as I've recently submitted my masters thesis to a journal and will hopefully be getting published. If I find out I will be getting published, is it worth sending both of these pieces of information in, or should I just wait and discuss it in interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Well look at it this way; it certainly can't hurt. You can always email and ask specific schools that you applied to, but I think that either way you can still talk about it in the interview process, and it is just one more beneficial add-on to your application.

I agree. I started volunteering with a new organization this past weekend and was offered an awesome opportunity. It may be kinda late in the game, but I'm definitely updating my schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed all my schools with any update if they hadn't sent out interview invites yet. Most of them said they would add it to my application while a few said they wouldn't. It won't hurt you to send them a quick email asking them to consider the additional bit of information.

Similar question....what about updating hour counts on experiences you did list on your app? I know VMCAS is pretty clear when the instructions say "No future experiences will be considered." It is definitely implied that I am continuing to gain hours as a vet assistant since there was no 'end of employment' date on my application. What are your opinions everyone?

Similar question....what about updating hour counts on experiences you did list on your app? I know VMCAS is pretty clear when the instructions say "No future experiences will be considered." It is definitely implied that I am continuing to gain hours as a vet assistant since there was no 'end of employment' date on my application. What are your opinions everyone?

I wouldn't. No ending date should be enough. On my VMCAS I put 7/14 as my ending date for present experiences as I figured that pointed to my continuing with them.

Reactions: 1 user

I think you answered your own question here - no need.

I'm a little worried, since I put my ongoing experiences with an ending date of 10/2/13, since that was the date I calculated the experience hours up till. Do you think I should contact VMCAS and clarify that I wasn't fired from all of my jobs on application day or will they understand what I meant?

I'm a little worried, since I put my ongoing experiences with an ending date of 10/2/13, since that was the date I calculated the experience hours up till. Do you think I should contact VMCAS and clarify that I wasn't fired from all of my jobs on application day or will they understand what I meant?
I highly doubt that VMCAS can do anything at this point.

Yeah there's no point in contacting VMCAS, from now on you'll just have to contact schools directly. But I would think they'll know that you're probably continuing with those activities - I know I put my ongoing activities as going on until then as well, since I didn't want to estimate in hours that I hadn't already completed. I'm sure plenty of others have done it as well. I don't intend to mention that I'm still doing those activities in my email as I figure that's a bit redundant and they won't care since I've already got plenty of hours listed... I just want them to know about the brand new things that I've done, to possibly help diversify my app a bit more.

Yeah there's no point in contacting VMCAS, from now on you'll just have to contact schools directly. But I would think they'll know that you're probably continuing with those activities - I know I put my ongoing activities as going on until then as well, since I didn't want to estimate in hours that I hadn't already completed. I'm sure plenty of others have done it as well. I don't intend to mention that I'm still doing those activities in my email as I figure that's a bit redundant and they won't care since I've already got plenty of hours listed... I just want them to know about the brand new things that I've done, to possibly help diversify my app a bit more.

Thanks, you're probably right - I think I will put the extra hours when I submit Fall grades though, just to make sure. It's 45 hours a week of veterinary experience down the drain otherwise...

You seem to be on every thread I'm following btw, and I love your avatar :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all. And Cyndia, I think you should update the schools too! And a1an, I'm not an admissions officer, but I would be puzzled if I saw all of your experiences ending as of October 2nd. Maybe best to clarify with the schools like you are planning to.

Thanks, you're probably right - I think I will put the extra hours when I submit Fall grades though, just to make sure. It's 45 hours a week of veterinary experience down the drain otherwise...

You seem to be on every thread I'm following btw, and I love your avatar :)

Fair enough, guess it couldn't hurt to add them in! And haha thanks! I put that avatar up when I was playing the DC Comics WW game, felt it was appropriate for Halloween, but now I don't want to change it.. Also it's no surprise I'm on most of the threads you're following, I've been spending an unhealthy amount of time on SDN since I submitted applications, I really need some new hobbies! :p

Thanks all. And Cyndia, I think you should update the schools too! And a1an, I'm not an admissions officer, but I would be puzzled if I saw all of your experiences ending as of October 2nd. Maybe best to clarify with the schools like you are planning to.

Hmm probably better to be safe than sorry, I think I probably will. I'll send it in as soon as I hear back about if my paper was accepted, focus mainly on mentioning that and the new research job, and then just casually mention I've also been continuing whichever activities I listed as ending as well. Arghh, I'm sure it won't change things too much, but it's nice to feel like I'm doing SOMETHING to help my application out now!

I think a brief note to the schools along the lines of "I misunderstood the VMCAS instructions, and I'd like to clarify that I remain in positions X, Y, and Z, and did not leave them (or quit, or stop, or whatever is appropriate for the activity) on 10/2/13" is very appropriate.

And, I don't think it would hurt someone to send substantive updates to schools. Like, if you did something fairly major or very relevant to your application. I wouldn't waste their time with an hours update or "hey, I finished one more pre-req" or something like that, though.