How important are calculus and physics in Pharm study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxok425

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the two courses several years ago and almost forget everything (but they are still eligible for the prerequisite). I am going to apply for Pharm.D the next year. I am not sure if I should re-take the two courses. If we use a lot of the knowledge in the pharm.d study, I think I would like to study them again.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you're actually considering putting yourself thru the torture again? i would just brush up on review books. no need to kill yourself for an A again.

I took all three calculus and feel it's worthless in pharmacy school. Being good in stats helps though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calculus may be helpful in understanding how some kinetics formulas are derived, and physics may be helpful in understanding how the lens in the eye focuses light on the retina. However, it is certainly not necessary to retake calculus and physics for pharmacy school. You do not directly use those concepts, but remembering some from each of those classes may "enrich" some of the material you learn.

I would just review the material. No need to retake the courses.

Have you taken the PCAT yet? Retaking a calculus class might help you do better on the math section or if you think you'll be able to recall everything from just studying by yourself, then you don't really need it.

forget the physics, calculus will help a lot with understanding kinetics, but geez, don't retake the classes just brush up a bit before school starts.

Thanks everyone! I wouldn't mind retake or review calculus, but physics kills me.