How important are Dean's Letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how important are Dean's letters. It seems everyone who applies for rad onc has gleaming letters. My school doesnt rank students so the last paragraph is based off of grades in rotations and gpa. I also just wanted to say thanks for all the informative posts.

Members don't see this ad.

K, also ive heard that some schools release their dean's letter days earlier than nov. 1st so programs can download them before other schools. is this rumor true (ie/ u cincinatti)? my school refuses to upload my deans letter until the 1st.

Dean's letters CAN be released by your schools whenever they are ready. However programs may NOT download/read them until Nov. 1st, so don't worry.

Dean's letter carry very little weight. They are essentially a narrative version of your grades, scores, and ERAS application. Of course, a strong negative comment on your Dean's letter can hurt you ("continue reading" doesn't qualify :) ).

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree w/ Gfunk. The main thing in Dean's letter that can hurt you is consistent "flags" in the summative comments. I wouldn't worry about the schools who are only P/F; PD's are quite accustomed to interpreting these letters, as many of the "top tier" schools use this format (usually accompanied by a cute "we're not only proud of it, we're downright smug about it" paragraph).

the deans letter is merely a verbal reiteration of your academic career. it doesnt say much folks dont already know.