How important are extra-curriculars???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMD-2-B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm kind of in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and I was wondering if anyone has any advice.

I'm a non-trad student who recently made the decision to pursue dentistry. I made the decision after much thought, then quit my job and jumped into school two weeks later. Since then I have been doing nothing but loading up on classes in order to finish my pre-reqs by application time for Fall '07.

The thing is I haven't done much in terms of:

- research (none),
- shadowing (none),
- volunteer work (some with groups for children who stutter)

I'm taking organic I and bio I now, which are both killer classes, and I'm taking part II of both in the spring.

I wanna do research/volunteer/shadow, but am worried that time away from my classes will bring my grades down, and I wanna keep them up so I can get accepted into dental school. :thumbup:

BUT I'm also worried that if I DON"T do research/volunteer/shadow I won't get accepted into dental school.

What on earth should I do??? What's more desirable:

a - great grades with almost no extra-curriculars

OR

b - decent grades with extra-curriculars

What would you do? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

DMD-2-B said:
Hey guys,

I'm kind of in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and I was wondering if anyone has any advice.

I'm a non-trad student who recently made the decision to pursue dentistry. I made the decision after much thought, then quit my job and jumped into school two weeks later. Since then I have been doing nothing but loading up on classes in order to finish my pre-reqs by application time for Fall '07.

The thing is I haven't done much in terms of:

- research (none),
- shadowing (none),
- volunteer work (some with groups for children who stutter)

I'm taking organic I and bio I now, which are both killer classes, and I'm taking part II of both in the spring.

I wanna do research/volunteer/shadow, but am worried that time away from my classes will bring my grades down, and I wanna keep them up so I can get accepted into dental school. :thumbup:

BUT I'm also worried that if I DON"T do research/volunteer/shadow I won't get accepted into dental school.

What on earth should I do??? What's more desirable:

a - great grades with almost no extra-curriculars

OR

b - decent grades with extra-curriculars

What would you do? :confused:

Get great grades and rock the DAT. Xtras matter if you had borderline grades and mediocre DATs

shabu2 said:
Get great grades and rock the DAT. Xtras matter if you had borderline grades and mediocre DATs

Shabu2, do you say this from personal experience? I see you're at Columbia - did you have extra-curriculars under your belt before you applied?

Status
Not open for further replies.