How important are the grades you get after you've already submitted your apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, how important are the grades you get in your Fall and Spring semesters after you've applied (let's say you submit your app in the summer)?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, how important are the grades you get in your Fall and Spring semesters after you've applied (let's say you submit your app in the summer)?

If you screw up badly then they can revoke an acceptance. Some schools will ask you for your updated transcript late in the cycle so you want to show them that you haven't been slacking.

The most important reason though is that you might have to reapply and you'll thank yourself for not slacking off.

This was by far my worst semester because I was going to interviews and taking a big course load. There's no reason to slack until you have an acceptance and even then, for me, it meant I didn't have to try to out do everyone else.

Slacking off could really hurt you if you get wait listed at one of your favorite choices. Just truck on a bit more since your almost done

Members don't see this ad :)
At the majority of schools those grades are meaningless assuming you're accepted. Yes, schools can rescind acceptances if you don't continue your current level of academic performance, but that's extremely rare. Where your grades would matter is if you end up having to reapply. This is why you absolutely shouldn't slack off until you're accepted somewhere - assuming you want to slack off, of course. Even then, though, you should still aim for As and Bs to save yourself potential headaches.

Sent from my SGH-M919

After you've applied: still as important as before you applied.
After you've been accepted: less important, no need to strive for a 4.0, but you shouldn't get straight C's either. You still have to submit a final transcript to your med school before matriculating.

This is why applying after the senior year is the best idea, since you won't have to worry about grades anymore.

To answer your question, as long as you get As and Bs, you're fine.

You would really have to screw up to have anything revoked. But at least wait until you have an acceptance you are happy with.

Survivor DO

Do not slack until you have an acceptance lol - I did that and I'm royally screwed as a reapp
!

Do not slack until you have an acceptance lol - I did that and I'm royally screwed as a reapp
!

I would pay close attention to this post OP. If you don't get accepted your grades still matter as much as ever. If you're wait listed it'd be better to update with great grades rather than mediocre ones.

I would pay close attention to this post OP. If you don't get accepted your grades still matter as much as ever. If you're wait listed it'd be better to update with great grades rather than mediocre ones.

They actually even matter MORE than ever because they are your most recent grades. A bad semester/year is much better far removed from applying than it is right before applying

Don't slack!

This goes for your extracurriculars too :cool:

Ditto to this. It doesn't look good to quit volunteering the minute you get good news somewhere.

I'm not familiar with the policies of other schools, but with UVA, obtaining a C or D following an acceptance requires a letter of explanation or a re-evaluation, respectfully.

So yes, those grades are important. Maintaining high grades might also help if you are on hold/waitlisted and the school asks for any updates.

Haha, and all of us are like F** don't do what we did Lol