How important is a degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dredg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to go to Carleton College for prepharmacy work and I was going to work for a biology or chemistry degree. However, I found out about the 0+6 pharmacy program and that sounds much better because it gets me into a pharmacy job quicker. But I still really wanted to go to Carleton. So I was wondering, how important is a bachelor's degree to get into pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to go to Carleton College for prepharmacy work and I was going to work for a biology or chemistry degree. However, I found out about the 0+6 pharmacy program and that sounds much better because it gets me into a pharmacy job quicker. But I still really wanted to go to Carleton. So I was wondering, how important is a bachelor's degree to get into pharmacy school?

It give you are fairly big advantage over the non-degree holders, especially if you are aiming for a higher ranking school (some of which don't even take non-degree holders).

What you can do is just to start on track for that biol or chem degree. Apply for Pharmacy along the way. Nobody said you have to finish the BS degree if you get accepted early. :cool:

With the economy right now, it's in your best interest to make yourself marketable as much as possible. Having a BA/BS degree will not only give you an edge for pharmacy school, it's also good to add on your resume.

All schools in CA highly recommend candidates to hold a BA/BS degree and soon all other schools will too. I wont be surprised if having a BA/BS degree will be a mandatory requirement for admission into pharmacy school within a few years.