How important is a good med school / residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

exmissionary

I am 21 years old. I served a 2 year lds mission in Mexico. I have 60 units w/ 3.5 gpa. I have not started on my science classes or my premajor classes.

I have two options:

1) Stick out another 3 years and get my BS or BA, then apply to med school in the US and Caribbean. Results: I could probably get into the US.

2) Finish all my science classes in a year and study like crazy for the MCAT, then apply to med school in the US and Caribbean. Results: Probably not get into the US, Go to Caribbean.

So its all about this question: How important is it to make it into the "preimier" Med School or Residency? Can't I just go to a Caribbean school (two outside the US and two inside) and then (this is the switch from mediocre to excellent) after an ok residency, make it into almost any really cool post residency study? Does it work like that?

Members don't see this ad.

The wise thing to do would be to finish your degree in the United States and then apply to US schools first. Generally, the advice is if you don't get into US schools after multiple tries and have deficiencies in your application (i.e. low mcat or low gpa), then try the Caribbean as a last resort. The reason for this is that a degree from the Caribbean puts you at a disadvantage come residency time-- you will be an IMG or an FMG, I can't remember which, which puts you in the "less favorable" category among residency directors. Having that status also makes it considerably more difficult for you to match into the ultra-competitive specialties such as ortho, optho, rads, derm, etc. You're only 21. Why would you want to rush things and limit your future?

I am 21 years old. I have 60 units w/ 3.5 gpa.

1) Stick out another 3 years and get my BS or BA, then apply to med school in the US and Caribbean. Results: I could probably get into the US.

This sounds like the only option to me. Being that you are only 21 years old and that you already have a decent gpa, you really should finish up your BS/BA. (trust me you want to finish college). Maybe you could even raise your gpa if you can get straight As from here on out. That would make you very competitive assuming you get 30+ on your mcat.

Right now, You have a solid chance of getting a high science GPA if you start applying yourself now. Like Silas said, going to US medical school will help you get the residency you want later down the line. Don't close any doors now just to shave off a year or two.

The caribbean will always be around waiting for you as she is for countless of individuals who cannot gain a seat to an LCME accredited school.

I agree, the Caribbean schools will always be around. Don't give up on your goals and dreams. Your only 21, you have time to raise your GPA, if necessary to retake MCAT or do a masters, SMP. Be focused, but as others have said before on this forum, don't sell yourself short. Don't think, "I need this minimum score or this GPA, study for understanding, not for the grade, and you'll surprise yourself. Good luck dude.