How important is an upward trend GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistersirmister

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am wondering how an upward trend GPA looks like in the admission process. I've heard mixed things like it's much better to have had a consistent GPA all through undergrad, and others saying the upward trend is hugely important. By upward trend, I also mean from around a 3.3 to a 3.8.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey there. What schools have you applied to? What are your target schools? What was the volunteering? Do you have any nonclinical volunteering? You have great research, I would cut back on the research some to get more volunteering in a clinical setting if you don't have any clinical experience. A 512 MCAT is nothing to be ashamed of, that's a great score OP. What specialties did you shadow in? I just need more detailed information if you want us to help you out.

Hey there. What schools have you applied to? What are your target schools? What was the volunteering? Do you have any nonclinical volunteering? You have great research, I would cut back on the research some to get more volunteering in a clinical setting if you don't have any clinical experience. A 512 MCAT is nothing to be ashamed of, that's a great score OP. What specialties did you shadow in? I just need more detailed information if you want us to help you out.

I shadowed in Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Emergency/Trauma, and Neurosurgery.
I have plenty of nonclinical volunteering I believe! The most significant experiences would be that I worked at a nonprofit for homeless youth one summer. I worked at another nonprofit teaching music and academics to students in the community. I have worked with LGBT organizations around the area I live in doing public health outreach, etc. I have also done various philanthropy events through my college clubs.

I am applying to the University of Colorado, Arizona, Florida, Miami, North Carolina, Ohio State, Georgetown, GW, Drexel, Maryland, and EVMS at the moment.