How important is class rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skijumpbump

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new first year student a few weeks in at an Honors/Pass/Fail school. All of my test grades have been fine and I feel as if I am learning the material. However I seem to be a few points below the class average for every exam. I am in the solid passing range and I do not see myself getting many honors. I do not know my explicit class rank but I can assume it will be in the bottom half. How important is a high class rank when matching into residency? I know that every program is field and program is different, but could someone give me a general idea.

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply to a very competitive field, class ranking may be important. If you are applying to a lower-mid competitive field, it won't make much of a difference.
well put.

OP, if you are aspiring for a really competitive field, then class rank matters. if you are shooting for primary care, well then just pass and you will surely match. being in the bottom half doesn't mean you are dumb. you are still clearly passing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply to a very competitive field, class ranking may be important. If you are applying to a lower-mid competitive field, it won't make much of a difference.

hmmm...according to deans at our school...class rank is not even divulged in the dean's letter (at least at my school)

...and we don't even have AOA

hmmm...according to deans at our school...class rank is not even divulged in the dean's letter (at least at my school)

...and we don't even have AOA
u may be in the minority. my school doesn't release ranks 1-whatever.
they put you in quartiles. that's all that goes in the dean's letter.
so if you are in the 99th percentile or the 75th, you are in the same category.

I am a new first year student a few weeks in at an Honors/Pass/Fail school. All of my test grades have been fine and I feel as if I am learning the material. However I seem to be a few points below the class average for every exam. I am in the solid passing range and I do not see myself getting many honors. I do not know my explicit class rank but I can assume it will be in the bottom half. How important is a high class rank when matching into residency? I know that every program is field and program is different, but could someone give me a general idea.

Do the best that you can and stop worrying about matching into residency at this point. You have plenty of medical school in front of you before you can even consider matching. You either change something to score higher or you have to be satisfied with where you are. For the most competitive specialties, class rank will be important along with Board Scores etc. If it turns out you are not interested in a competitive specialty, then class rank takes on less importance. If you want more options, find a way to score higher and improve your ranking.

I know that in this case, generally a higher rank is better, but around what level do med students see diminishing returns? For example, is being in the top quartile good enough, or is it important to be in the top ten, top five, etc.?

I know that in this case, generally a higher rank is better, but around what level do med students see diminishing returns? For example, is being in the top quartile good enough, or is it important to be in the top ten, top five, etc.?
i would say that depends on how your school reports rankings. if everyone in the top quartile is in same boat, then no point. if they report by 10s, then its better to be top 10 as opposed to be the next 10

our dean's letter has us in the top 25% or top 50%. if you are in the top 25%, they include your class rank like 1-45 out of 180.
eww, talk about cut-throat

It's entirely dependent on your school. Talk to your dean, they're there to answer those kinds of questions. At my school, preclinical years are next to worthless - P/F, no class rank, and the Dean's letter is pretty much entirely derived from 3-4th years.

u may be in the minority. my school doesn't release ranks 1-whatever.
they put you in quartiles. that's all that goes in the dean's letter.
so if you are in the 99th percentile or the 75th, you are in the same category.
cept 99th percentile is junior AOA while 75th is on the outside looking in