How important is class size?

Started by ematt768
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ematt768

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey current vet students.

I am currently trying to make a choice between three schools. I was wondering how much class size contributes to the education. The school told me that because of their small size I would get much more hands on expereince and groups in clinics would be about three to four people.

Does that really make as big a difference as they claimed it does?

Thanks for your help.
 
I believe it makes a huge difference. Mostly in practical situations, lectures it doesn't really matter. For instance with a group of 3 or 4 you would each have your own animal to work on and possibly a tutor for the small group, in a group of 20 you may have 1 animal between 6 or 7 people. (I'm talking live animals here, not ones for dissection if people are worried 😛).

Also it is soo much easier to ask questions and get the help you need in small groups, in a large group you would be lucky to find the tutor let alone get help from them.
 
Hey current vet students.

I am currently trying to make a choice between three schools. I was wondering how much class size contributes to the education. The school told me that because of their small size I would get much more hands on expereince and groups in clinics would be about three to four people.

Does that really make as big a difference as they claimed it does?

Thanks for your help.


granted, i don't REALLY know what i'm talking about here, because i've only ever attended one school and can't compare different class sizes 😉

however... my class is about 113, but we don't "suffer" during clinics because a school that accepts a large class usually has a large caseload. as such, during fourth year, each student will have 3-4 cases on their hands at one time. last summer, i talked to several students at the large animal hospital, and they often had up to 6 (!) cases each.

for labs during the first few years, it's a big school, so there are loads of professors, residents, etc milling around to answer questions.

for lectures, i don't think it matters a hoot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with Emio. When it comes to clinics, it's not class size it's the ratio between class size and case numbers.
 
granted, i don't REALLY know what i'm talking about here, because i've only ever attended one school and can't compare different class sizes 😉

however... my class is about 113, but we don't "suffer" during clinics because a school that accepts a large class usually has a large caseload. as such, during fourth year, each student will have 3-4 cases on their hands at one time. last summer, i talked to several students at the large animal hospital, and they often had up to 6 (!) cases each.

for labs during the first few years, it's a big school, so there are loads of professors, residents, etc milling around to answer questions.

for lectures, i don't think it matters a hoot.

Emio - will we be seeing you at SAVMA Symposium?