How important is DO letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RinShanKaiHo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new here I don't quite know if it is ok to post this kind of threads but I need help from you guys
My GPA... over all like 3.75ish and sGPA maybe around 3.5-3.6? I did terrible in my last year my biochem class was a disaster... My MCAT is 508(129 126 127 126) and I am retaking this June 1st.

I am thinking about applying to DO schools but I unfortunately do not have a DO letter... I have only one letter from a MD abroad whom I have been volunteering with for some time... Have a non-first author paper and some other ECs, nothing really too spectacular...

I wonder what are my chances without DO letter and shadowing... I live in Philly so PCOM is definitely my top choice... Is it helpful if I shadow a DO this summer and request a DO letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I'm new here I don't quite know if it is ok to post this kind of threads but I need help from you guys
My GPA... over all like 3.75ish and sGPA maybe around 3.5-3.6? I did terrible in my last year my biochem class was a disaster... My MCAT is 508(129 126 127 126) and I am retaking this June 1st.

I am thinking about applying to DO schools but I unfortunately do not have a DO letter... I have only one letter from a MD abroad whom I have been volunteering with for some time... Have a non-first author paper and some other ECs, nothing really too spectacular...

I wonder what are my chances without DO letter and shadowing... I live in Philly so PCOM is definitely my top choice... Is it helpful if I shadow a DO this summer and request a DO letter?
I believe PCOM strongly suggests DO letter so I would find one. I got into NSUCOM and LECOM without DO letters. But if you can get one it will only help. There are schools I didn't even apply to because they required a DO letter

Reactions: 1 user

You currently stats would make you highly competitive at every DO school in America (with the exception of the DO schools outside of your home state with extreme in-state bias).

If you're just aiming for DO (and if PCOM is in fact your top choice), then I don't see why you would want to retake the MCAT.

Shadow a DO and get the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
you've gotten this far why not just find a DO to shadow and get a letter?

Reactions: 1 user
you've gotten this far why not just find a DO to shadow and get a letter?
Thanks! I just wasn't sure if I could manage to get a letter within this summer and if the letter would be sufficient or strong enough..

Not having a DO LOR won't necessarily hurt, but having one will definitely help.
If you live in Philly, I might actually ding you for not seeking out a DO. After all, PCOM is in your backyard!

Insert anecdotal evidence warning here, but I applied to 8 DO schools (Top-10ish) without a DO letter and got IIs at 7 of them. I attended 3 of the 7 IIs and was accepted at all of them. I did have shadowing with a DO though which I assume helped - it definitely gave me material to talk about during my secondaries and interview.

Insert anecdotal evidence warning here, but I applied to 8 DO schools (Top-10ish) without a DO letter and got IIs at 7 of them. I attended 3 of the 7 IIs and was accepted at all of them. I did have shadowing with a DO though which I assume helped - it definitely gave me material to talk about during my secondaries and interview.

Stats?

Not having a DO LOR won't necessarily hurt, but having one will definitely help.
If you live in Philly, I might actually ding you for not seeking out a DO. After all, PCOM is in your backyard!

Thank you so much for your advice!
The reason I never seeked a DO was because the advisor at my school said "shadowing isn't necessarily that helpful"... She said doing volunteering is more important so I did not even try until I find DO schools do need DO LORs..

I may be mistaken but schools require it now, not just suggest it.

Some schools do
I contacted a resident DO in his 4th year... I wonder if a resident will work or I definitely need an attending...
He is a very nice guy and we share a lot of common background so I wonder if his letter will be good enough...

I contacted a resident DO in his 4th year... I wonder if a resident will work or I definitely need an attending...
He is a very nice guy and we share a lot of common background so I wonder if his letter will be good enough...
Well, the want you to shadow doctors because we want you to know what a doctor's day is like, not a resident. This is NOT saying residents aren't doctors, but they are two different jobs. BUT if DOs are scarce where you live, I think that this will do.

Well, the want you to shadow doctors because we want you to know what a doctor's day is like, not a resident. This is NOT saying residents aren't doctors, but they are two different jobs. BUT if DOs are scarce where you live, I think that this will do.
Which kind of letter would you think to be most appreciated from admissions perspective? Private practicing or attending, primary care or specialty? If I am aiming for pcom would a letter from pcom alumnus help my application?

Doesn't matter.

An alumnus always seems to perk my Adcoms interest when we meet to discuss candidates.
Which kind of letter would you think to be most appreciated from admissions perspective? Private practicing or attending, primary care or specialty? If I am aiming for pcom would a letter from pcom alumnus help my application?