How important is good vision in becoming an ophthalmologist?

Started by theonthe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theonthe

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My dream since I was younger was to become an ophthalmologist, because I really admired a certain doctor at one of the largest children's hospitals in the US that treated me. I'm therefore really interested in learning about eye diseases, and although I am still in high school, pursuing this career is something that I am very open to. The problem is, I have strabismus (exotropia). Although I have no visible issues, to the point where most people don't even notice I have it, I have gotten surgery at 6, and my vision is pretty bad (it's fine with glasses). I was wondering how big of an issue this might be. Vision is obviously very important as an ophthalmologist, but would this disadvantage me a lot?
 
Since you want to be an eye surgeon, it would be expected that there are some physical limitations/criteria involved with job performance such as mobility, dexterity, and vision. The vision category can be subdivided into binocularity and visual acuity. Get tested for these and see if you have these within normal limits.