How important is IM grade for neurologyu?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amygdala221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a Pass for IM. Other than that, 2 High Pass and 3 Honors.
Step 1 255+, hasn't taken step 2 yet.
Lower ranked East coast MD school.
1 pub but non neurology related. Couple researches project in neuro.
How important is a IM grade for neurology? Did the pass in IM screw me over?
I am not looking to go to top 5 programs. Just staying on the West coast is fine.

Members don't see this ad.

everything else is stellar. make up for it by doing a medicine subi, crushing it, and getting a quality medicine rec. that'll easily make up for it

I recently got a Pass for IM. Other than that, 2 High Pass and 3 Honors.
Step 1 255+, hasn't taken step 2 yet.
Lower ranked East coast MD school.
1 pub but non neurology related. Couple researches project in neuro.
How important is a IM grade for neurology? Did the pass in IM screw me over?
I am not looking to go to top 5 programs. Just staying on the West coast is fine.

Your Neurology grade will matter the most followed by IM. Regardless you pass the grades/scores criteria. You have decent research. You’ll probably end up at a upper mid tier or top tier on the west coast. Maybe not UCSF -I wouldn’t rule that out though -, but probably UCSD (and it’s not because you passed medicine)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your Neurology grade will matter the most followed by IM. Regardless you pass the grades/scores criteria. You have decent research. You’ll probably end up at a upper mid tier or top tier on the west coast. Maybe not UCSF -I wouldn’t rule that out though -, but probably UCSD (and it’s not because you passed medicine)

.....maybe 10 years ago that be the case. This year Neurology has gotten very competitive. You can predict he will certainly match into a reputable mid-tier program like Utah, Iowa, Minnesota...etc. But any elite programs reputation wise or in very desirable locations is a toss-up.

Reactions: 1 users
.....maybe 10 years ago that be the case. This year Neurology has gotten very competitive. You can predict he will certainly match into a reputable mid-tier program like Utah, Iowa, Minnesota...etc. But any elite programs reputation wise or in very desirable locations is a toss-up.
Agreed 100%. Neurology was very competitive this year. I predict it will only get more competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Fair enough. I defed to the people who went through the process.

i think OP has the grades and step 1 score to get interviews at many top programs. at that point, it really comes down to your interviews and fit with the faculty and program culture. i wouldn't sweat it, OP. like i said, though, it'd be good to get a solid medicine rec from a subI to quell any concerns about the P